Is it OK to not use one standoff?

FrustratedDude

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
So I just helped my friend build her first rig last night and everything went smoothly except for one issue: We're missing a motherboard standoff. The far right-middle standoff on her ATX board doesn't have a place to screw into her case. Most of the standoffs are built into the backplate of the case except two that are separate and can be screwed into one of several holes. The mobo lines up perfectly with every other standoff and the I/O shield, so I know we didn't somehow manage to install it wrong. Yet that one hole on the mobo does not line up with any standoffs or holes to install a standoff in.

I don't forsee it being a problem. We did have to have one of us support the board from behind with our fingers, while the other plugged in the 24 pin power connecter and USB 3 header, so we wouldn't bend the board and put too much stress on it. I've never encountered this before though and I'm curious if there's some possible problem this could cause I haven't thought of.

Thanks for your help.

For reference THIS is her mobo and THIS is her case.

Solution
This reminds me of my first build, where I forgot one standoff and me being OCD, I disassembled everything and rebuilt it... It took an additional 3 hours. Now thinking back, I could have just left it like that. Some Micro-ATX cases don't even have a hole for that last standoff.

If you feel uneasy, buy the plastic push and clip stanoffs, you just push it from the back of the case and it goes through the motherboard, supporting it.

A lot of OEM uses that, to save time in case the worker forgot to install one or two standoffs. I had 3 OEM computers having plastic stanoffs inside.

-Bloc97

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
This reminds me of my first build, where I forgot one standoff and me being OCD, I disassembled everything and rebuilt it... It took an additional 3 hours. Now thinking back, I could have just left it like that. Some Micro-ATX cases don't even have a hole for that last standoff.

If you feel uneasy, buy the plastic push and clip stanoffs, you just push it from the back of the case and it goes through the motherboard, supporting it.

A lot of OEM uses that, to save time in case the worker forgot to install one or two standoffs. I had 3 OEM computers having plastic stanoffs inside.

-Bloc97

Solution

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I recently used a few small pieces of rubber as standoffs when I threw together a Rig using old parts I had laying around.
The old case didn't have a place for two stand offs so I just cut the rubber blocks to the height I needed and glued them to the case.
While not really necessary it did make it me feel better when snapping the RAM into the slots because they needed quite a bit of force to get them to fully seat.