[SOLVED] Is it ok to put pressure on installed cpu?

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hi,
While installing my Noctua cooler, I had a little problem getting the screws right.. It's always happened to me with noctua coolers, I don't know why everybody says they have an easy installation, it's actually pretty frustrating. When you succeed in getting one screw, than the other one doesn't screw.
So I put pretty strong pressure on one of the sides just so the screw will get in. But how harm can be done to the cpu? Is it ok to put pressure on the cpu?

johnsoner13

Respectable
When you succeed in getting one screw, than the other one doesn't screw.
It should be fine, but next time when you get one screw in, only tighten it a little bit just so that it stays, then do the screw diagonal from that, somewhat loose again, and then repeat on the other 2 screws, like an “X” sort of pattern. Only tighten all the screws after all 4 are in

Reactions: CountMike

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Yes but hopefully you put it on when the motherbd was out of the case so you were stressing the board.
In fact it was out of the case (which I than regretted cause I had a hard time connecting the cpu power connectors from the psu). But now you got me more worried, the motherboard seems more delicate than the cpu LOL.
It should be fine, but next time when you get one screw in, only tighten it a little bit just so that it stays, then do the screw diagonal from that, somewhat loose again, and then repeat on the other 2 screws, like an “X” sort of pattern. Only tighten all the screws after all 4 are in
I did..I tightened the first one only slightly but even one turn is enough to cause the other screw not to catch to the its post. So frustrating! you have to put so much pressure in order to get the other screw in! And it happens to me all the time with Noctua coolers. The first time it happened to me I actually thought something is wrong with the cooler itself.
The cpu cooler is designed to apply pressure to the cpu, so its fine.
Yes, I thought so. So the pressure from the cooler is much more than i'll ever put myself pressing it down with my hands?
I want to clarify something, in Noctua nh-u12a (or d15 for that matter) they have the two screws and a little metal part right next to the screw that you can push down if you want.. I was pushing down this metal part which seem to put pressure directly onto the cpu, I probably should have put the pressure only to the actual screw (with the screwdriver). That's why was worried, but I guess that in the end, when the cooler is fully installed it puts pressure on the cpu anyway, probably more thatI would ever do myself pushing it down.. hopefully.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
So does this apply to my Antec A400 also because it happened for me to press a bit to align the mounting clips to AM4 motherboard? and as said the tower is pretty large so anyway it will press the CPU right?