Question Is it OK to remove the bloatware inside Windows 10?

Endre

Reputable
Some guys on YouTube recommand us to remove the bloatware existing in Windows 10, along with blocking the updates and blocking the firewall (which is totally wrong), in order to achieve speed. I didn’t take most of those advises, but I did run the script to remove the bloatware of Windows 10 (it removed Microsoft apps). The PC runs visibly faster now.
What are the downsides of removing the Windows bloatware?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
downside is that you don't have that app to use anymore. otherwise there is none.

so if you don't use it, then deleting it is no different than deleting any other program you're not using. i debloat, block updates, and turn off a ton of services and start-up items as well. system is much faster and happier that way :)

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
jeezus just live wtih it.since ive upgraded to 10 ive tweaked until im blue in the face and the opinion ive arrived at is just leave it alone.
jeezus just live wtih it.since ive upgraded to 10 ive tweaked until im blue in the face and the opinion ive arrived at is just leave it alone.

Some tweaks are definitely good; like turning off certain Microsoft services.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
with past windows versions there was a lot of support and fun to be had tweaking and trimming down the stock offering. but with win 10 for some reason, there seems to be a 180 happening. seems daddy MS knows best and doing anything other than accepting what is given and being happy is met with disdain now.

win 10 is so full of bloat and unneeded stuff, it begs and needs to be tweaked and trimmed down.

often when someone asks "i saw a video where the guy got 100 fps and i only get 60 with the same set-up", the answer is "they have optimized windows so the games run a lot better".

but when someone asks how to optimize, they are met with attitude and warning not to mess with daddy MS's stuff. you optimimze and see better results by removing the bloat, trimming down unneeded services, start-up items and "features" you don't need. plain and simple really.

if you are looking for some ideas on what services you can turn off and adjust, blackviper is a good source. he's already has done the leg work and offers multiple levels of what can be adjusted for what desired results.

i also use autoruns to see what is truly running at start-up. lots more than you think eating up valuable resources for no reason. put that together with the removed apps and you should have a much leaner install that run a lot smoother.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
but when someone asks how to optimize, they are met with attitude and warning not to mess with daddy MS's stuff. you optimimze and see better results by removing the bloat, trimming down unneeded services, start-up items and "features" you don't need. plain and simple really.
I have nothing against tweaking Windows. I always do stuff like disable Cortana + whatever telemetry I can, uninstall some useless pre-installed apps/games, disable some applications that run at startup, etc. But that doesn't really do anything for performance, and the apps usually only add up to a couple hundred MBs at most, which is peanuts with the size of today's drives.

The thing is none of the proponents of "optimizing" Windows seem to be able to provide any quantitative, objective evidence of noticeable performance improvements. It's typically vague, anecdotal bits about stuff being faster, which is exactly the kind of stuff you see people say when people add more/faster RAM (even though they already had plenty), replace one SSD with one that's a bit faster (in benchmarks), or anything else that's unlikely to make a perceptible difference other than placebo effect. Again, the exception would boot time, but unless all you do is sit there and restart your PC I don't think anyone should really be too concerned about shaving a few seconds off their boot time.

with past windows versions there was a lot of support and fun to be had tweaking and trimming down the stock offering. but with win 10 for some reason, there seems to be a 180 happening. seems daddy MS knows best and doing anything other than accepting what is given and being happy is met with disdain now.

win 10 is so full of bloat and unneeded stuff, it begs and needs to be tweaked and trimmed down.

often when someone asks "i saw a video where the guy got 100 fps and i only get 60 with the same set-up", the answer is "they have optimized windows so the games run a lot better".

if you are looking for some ideas on what services you can turn off and adjust, blackviper is a good source. he's already has done the leg work and offers multiple levels of what can be adjusted for what desired results.

i also use autoruns to see what is truly running at start-up. lots more than you think eating up valuable resources for no reason. put that together with the removed apps and you should have a much leaner install that run a lot smoother.
ive used black viper for years,but with a decent system i dont see much advantage in tweaking services.hell,i run the dreaded fx processor and it didnt really make a noticable difference in speed one way or another.