Question Is it OK to run an overclocked CPU at low voltages?

Jan 18, 2020
FX-8320 @4.00MHz

Asrock 970 pro3 r2.0

2x8GB Nanya DDR3 1600

Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo with a second fan added (push-pull) for CPU, 8cm fan blowing over the VRMs without heat-sink, custom fan curves.

I am aware this mobo isn't good for overclocking, it's what i have and don't plan on changing it until it works.

I am running 4GHz 'stable' (can't run prime, so i used the one that comes with CPU-Z or Kombuster) with stock voltage (1.325V). I tried 4.2GHz, but that requires me to up the voltage to 1.4V to get stable again, which consequently causes the temps to go up by about 10C. Now i run at 56C on socket and 48C on core under full load, and i am satisfied with it's performance. The only thing worrying me are the low voltages, it is set to 1.325 (stock), but it actually drops to 1.280V on idle and 1.232V under load. Is that OK or can i damage the CPU/mobo by running it that low? I can provide more info if needed. Thanx for the answers!

FX-8320 @4.00MHz

Asrock 970 pro3 r2.0

2x8GB Nanya DDR3 1600

Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo with a second fan added (push-pull) for CPU, 8cm fan blowing over the VRMs without heat-sink, custom fan curves.

I am aware this mobo isn't good for overclocking, it's what i have and don't plan on changing it until it works.

I am running 4GHz 'stable' (can't run prime, so i used the one that comes with CPU-Z or Kombuster) with stock voltage (1.325V). I tried 4.2GHz, but that requires me to up the voltage to 1.4V to get stable again, which consequently causes the temps to go up by about 10C. Now i run at 56C on socket and 48C on core under full load, and i am satisfied with it's performance. The only thing worrying me are the low voltages, it is set to 1.325 (stock), but it actually drops to 1.280V on idle and 1.232V under load. Is that OK or can i damage the CPU/mobo by running it that low? I can provide more info if needed. Thanx for the answers!
As long as it doesn't cause instability.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What does AMD Overdrive say about your temps under loads? Your cooler isn't really cut out for handling an overclocked FX-8320 - it has a max operating temp of 61C.
Please check the temps again with Overdrive, as other programs aren't as accurate.

Can't run prime? Asus Realbench's stress test is a good alternative for testing voltage stability.

It's good that you know and are aware... but that doesn't make it ok.

Yes, that motherboard's power delivery(a low 4+1 phase) isn't properly designed to handle the FX-8xxx and 9xxx cpus for extended periods - much less an overclocked one.

Are you financially prepared to buy a new cpu/motherboard/ram combo if something goes wrong 'tomorrow'?
I say a new combo, simply because: even though all that would happen is the mobo dying, it wouldn't be worth investing a penny more in that obsolete platform.

Jan 18, 2020
I use OpenHardwareMonitor usually for temps, everything else is done in BIOS.
I downloaded Overdrive and Realbench. Benchmark results:

Image Editing: 76590
Time: 69.565
Encoding: 55314
Time: 96.3224
OpenCL: 78884
KSamples/sec: 14510
Heavy Multitasking: 62676
Time: 121.769
System Score: 68366

I then ran the stress test, 15 minutes, 4GB memory. I made a screenshot at 14 and 16 minutes, i think it has all the relevant data.
NkC0g6N.png

bNKEBv4.png

I should add that i never go under 23C thermal margin during normal use, basically standard internet use or a fairly easy game to run (World of Tanks). The battles usually last from 4-10 minutes, with a minute or two breaks in between.

nbovvCH.png

And yes there is a plan to buy a used combo, a year or two more modern then the one i have now, after this one goes dead. I'm quite new to OC, so i don't mind if burn this one, it's outdated and worth next to nothing anyway, but it serves it's purpose just fine so far.
So should i change anything? I was considering dropping to 3,8Mhz to make it cooler and quieter, if there would be no noticeable drop in performance.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I use OpenHardwareMonitor usually for temps...
Doesn't display temps correctly for FX cpus.

Well, at least it's not overheating if 19C is the lowest thermal margin reading. Below 10C would've been a problem.

I then ran the stress test, 15 minutes...
Much too short for a stability test...

So should i change anything? I was considering dropping to 3,8Mhz to make it cooler and quieter, if there would be no noticeable drop in performance.
No need. The cpu runs cool enough. Who cares when the motherboard burns out?

Jan 18, 2020
Not me haha! Jokes aside, thank you all for the answers, i'll drop by sometimes as this is quite a nice place, i'll browse some forums, learn some new stuff... Have fun!