[SOLVED] is it ok to use external SSD via USB cable for video editing?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I'm doing 720p video editing and rendering almost daily, export folder is my HDD and import is HDD as well, I'm planning to move my video editing software to the external SSD for speed purposes, editing on a hdd is super pain, is this OK for external SSD lifespan? Thanks in advance and good day to you,

Solution
I personally wouldnt, you really dont want to be constantly accessing data from a drive that has potential to be disconnected without notice.
If you are interested in speed, I would recommend an internal SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
2. SSD don't last as long as HDD, but you are likely to replace them before any failure.
Thats debatable.

SSD have a published warranty life, in TBW. 75/300/600/more.

I've asked many times here over the last few years..."Has anyone personally had a drive reach that TBW in normal use? Further, has anyone ever had a drive die from too many write cycles?"
Have never heard anyone answer Yes. Not one.

There have been several endurance tests, with even older drives like a Samsung 840 EVO going into the petabyte range of use.

Of course, just like with any other electronic item...they may die from something else. One of mine did. But so have HDDs.
But it almost certainly won't be from writing to it too much.

Thats debatable.

SSD have a published warranty life, in TBW. 75/300/600/more.

I've asked many times here over the last few years..."Has anyone personally had a drive reach that TBW in normal use? Further, has anyone ever had a drive die from too many write cycles?"
Have never heard anyone answer Yes. Not one.

There have been several endurance tests, with even older drives like a Samsung 840 EVO going into the petabyte range of use.

Of course, just like with any other electronic item...they may die from something else. One of mine did. But so have HDDs.
But it almost certainly won't be from writing to it too much.

You are totally right, my 5 year old SSD can prove it.

CrystalDiskInfo_20210421094915_Kingston120G.png

Pretty good for a SSD, right?

27,000 hours seems a lot for a hard drive, but I have a couple of IDE HDD that are 15 years old with >50,000 hours on it and they still run strong. I discarded them just because of the convenience of the SATA cables.

Problem is that the technology used in SSD drives has its lifespan limitation, most of manufacturers limit their SSD warranty to 3 years or XXX TBW (which ever comes first) because they know things better than us.

USAFRet

Titan
You are totally right, my 5 year old SSD can prove it.

Pretty good for a SSD, right?

27,000 hours seems a lot for a hard drive, but I have a couple of IDE HDD that are 15 years old with >50,000 hours on it and they still run strong. I discarded them just because of the convenience of the SATA cables.

Problem is that the technology used in SSD drives has its lifespan limitation, most of manufacturers limit their SSD warranty to 3 years or XXX TBW (which ever comes first) because they know things better than us.
HDD warranties are also 3 years or so.

Yes, the cells in an SSD have a limited number of writes.
However...that number is huge. And only for the warranty, not InstaDeath.

My current C drive (500GB 850 EVO) has 65TBW and 40k running hours.
My eldest 250GB 840 EVO has 77k running hours.
And still reporting 100% in CDI.

USAFRet

Titan
And you believe the 100% health report? :D
No.

That is why I have automated full drive backups, every single night.
A drive can die at any time...no matter the type.
SSD, HDD, thumb drive, whatever.

As I said above....I've asked many many people if they've had an SSD "die" from too many write cycles.
No one has said Yes.
Other things...sure. I have.