[SOLVED] Is it ok to use my gpu with one less fan(+motor)?

May 17, 2022
So one of my gpu fans, out of 2, made this rattling noise while trying to spin (it'll spin then stop and so on) and would start to smell like burnt plastic if left like that.

So I took out the card, and while taking out the fan to oil it up, it's inside magnet stick broke, oh well. I tried to fix it by gluing it up, placed it back again and if I gave it a spin, it will spin in this unbalanced way, not sure if that was ok, fiddled with it a little and it broke again. Don't even know if the oil would've worked.

So while I'm looking for a replacement, will it be ok to disconnect the whole part (fan + motor) that's plugged in with a jst style connector, and use the card with only one fan?

My card gets hot (and the fans start) only if I do very graphic heavy stuff which I can avoid. The other fan works fine.

Thanks

Solution
If you are going to do so, make sure that the operational fan is over the GPU (die) part of the cooler. Many makes of GPU are available as a "mini" or one fan format, so I don't suspect you will hurt anything.