[SOLVED] Is it okay overclocking i5-8600k to 4.8 with a Corsair H80i v2

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Is that liquid cooler fair for 4.8ghz to run its temp at 80c on gaming load?
Pc has got two intake fans in front, two exaust fans on top and one other exhaust in the rear. Would Corsair hydro h80i v2 do the job? if not Please, recommend me the needed cpu cooler.

Solution
Apparently, you are having trouble understanding how all of this, or PC cooling in general, works. I would suggest that you should defer to those who DO know, which is, in this case, us, and stop trying to over-understand something that has already been established and understood for a long period of time. If there was a problem with a front mounted radiator bringing heat into the case, it would not be the standard, preferred method of installing a radiator for thousands and thousands of people.

What you are doing is like trying to figure out a way to install the engine on your car in the back, when it was designed to be installed in the front, and works perfectly fine that way. You are trying to solve a problem, where there IS no...
No, it really isn't. That cooler is better suited for stock operation and configuration than for any overclocking on a six core or higher part.

You want a 240mm or higher AIO cooler, at least, if you want a thermally compliant 4.8Ghz overclock on that board. Or a good air cooler.

Reactions: Ashraf546

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
No, it really isn't. That cooler is better suited for stock operation and configuration than for any overclocking on a six core or higher part.

You want a 240mm or higher AIO cooler, at least, if you want a thermally compliant 4.8Ghz overclock on that board. Or a good air cooler.
I dun't have a place for 240mm Radiators, Just wanna keep my PC coolers fans...
I'd be a lot more pleased if you could recommend somethin' 120mm liquid? or any other thin' than those fatty coolers such as Dark Rocks, Cryorig, Noctua kinds of stuff due to they hide in my RGB rams and harm ehm...

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Well could just upgrade the fans on the water cooler if you not and have a slightly higher speed set see what temps you get if it's still higher then 70 c on full load lower clock speed with my i5 8600k 4.5 works pretty well with my RTX 2070 windforce 🤔

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Well could just upgrade the fans on the water cooler if you not and have a slightly higher speed set see what temps you get if it's still higher then 70 c on full load lower clock speed with my i5 8600k 4.5 works pretty well with my RTX 2070 windforce 🤔
The water coolin' ideas ain't makin' up my mind... Still, Holdin' onto the damn Liquid coolers, Lookin' forward to gettin' one that would do the job greatly... A fine liquid piece that would run it at 4.8ghz with temp around 70C and barely 75... Let me get one that may help

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Generally all the 120 mm will perform the same since the radiator size can only dissipate heat fast enough so going for a bigger radiator or air coolers best idea take picture of ram and CPU mite be able to work out a cooler that won't cover it maybe or get a better case for the bigger water cooler 🤔

It doesn't matter what you have, or what will fit, or what country you are in, or what you can afford. The only thing that really matters is what can a given cooler is capable of and that cooler is not going to give you a 4.8Ghz overclock that is thermally compliant on that hardware. Just because something doesn't fit your idea of what you want doesn't mean the rules of physics are going to magically change to accommodate you. If you want a big overclock, you need big cooling. Period.

The fact that your case doesn't support a larger radiator is a problem. The fact that your RAM is apparently more important than your cooling means you should enjoy looking at your RAM and forget about ever achieving that overclock without risking thermal fatigue and damage to your CPU or motherboard. When you get past the idea that a CPU cooler is going to possibly block your RAM (Hint, it probably won't, due to newer rear offsets that improve clearance for the heatsink and heatsink fan) then you might be able to revisit this. In the meantime, I'd forget it unless you are willing to get a case that can support a water cooler large enough to offer the performance you need or an air cooler that is likely also going to be taller than your case can support.

Obviously, since you seem to not want to offer your hardware specifications including case model and motherboard/cpu, it makes it somewhat impossible to even speculate about such things.

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Woah? I was really out of this thing, I thought there could be somethin' liquid 120mm, Never had come across that there ain't.
You're so damn right Brah, You just brought my mind back to RP.
Mr, Breeze It looks likes you are an expert in such stuffs. I'd really want you to recommened me a cooler which would work for more than 10hours non-stop. Recommend me somethin' out of anythin' else than these nocuta and Cryorig they don't look good. I'd be so glad. Please,

DSzymborski

Titan
Woah? I was really out of this thing, I thought there could be somethin' liquid 120mm, Never had come across that there ain't.
You're so damn right Brah, You just brought my mind back to RP.
Mr, Breeze It looks likes you are an expert in such stuffs. I'd really want you to recommened me a cooler which would work for more than 10hours non-stop. Recommend me somethin' out of anythin' else than these nocuta and Cryorig they don't look good. I'd be so glad. Please,

Big air coolers are going to look like big air coolers. Unfortunately, you've made most of your decisions based on aesthetics rather than utility, so that's why you're in this situation. You've also rejected advice based on you not wanting to hear the advice. I'm not sure what else there is for us to do for you.

• Get a big air cooler and try for a significant overclock
  • Get a case that can fit a larger radiator and try for a significant overclock
  • Do not get a big air cooler or a case that can fit a larger radiator and be overclock-limited.

Those are essentially your options. Good luck to you.

Or even simpler,

1. Get a decent air cooler or case that supports water cooling along with a decent 240mm or larger water cooler, since yours doesn't, and overclock.

2. Don't overclock.

Really, those are the two options you have as Dszymborski has said.

Not going with a Cryorig unit I can understand, but not because "they don't look too good". They have mostly backed out of the US market and the prices of their coolers, while once among the best in the industry, are now completely ridiculous.

Not wanting to go with Noctua on the other hand, there is only really one reason to not want a Noctua cooler and that is because they are too expensive for you. And if a Noctua cooler is too expensive for you, then overclocking is likely a hobby you should just forget about anyhow. There are ZERO air coolers on the market that can outperfom Noctua in terms of cooling performance AND noise levels, pretty much across the board. There are however still some other options out there that are nearly as good, for a little less.

As I asked before, what is your case model? What is your CPU model? What is your motherboard model?

Also, what country are you in? What is your budget for a cooler?

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Zomborski You're kinda right, I do love aesthetics but want overlockin' too... and please, I really need the advices that i could step through.
And Sir, Dark? Why can't some other good lockin' air cooler won't work out? Such as I tried searching for Thermaltake riing silent 12 pro. and be quiet dark rock 4 pro. somethin' like that with two fans supporting.?

Well the specs are listed below.
Had a h370-f was wishin' to put a 9600k but got informed that it won't support overlockin' replaced it with a Z370-f now puttin' in a i5-8600k.
Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 05, got its hardware cage removed placed three 120mm Crsair Sp120 led rgb fans front for intake , two on top and one in rear for exaust. yeah, i could place h100i v2 in front but, dun't wanna short fail the intake fans.
I live in Pakistan, My budget is 18,000RS PKR for the cooler only, Gets my stuff from 1) https://www.industech.pk/ 2) https://www.eezepc.com/

The spec-05 DOES support 240mm radiators, according to the Corsair product page. A little research on your part would have revealed that, or we could have told you much sooner if you had just posted your hardware specs from the start.

Therefore, pretty much ANY 240mm cooler will work, but it looks like ALL of the 240mm water coolers are out of stock on both those websites. I'd try to stick to a 240mm water cooler from Corsair, NZXT, Deepcool or EVGA but if you have to you could make due with one from Thermaltake, Cooler Master or Id Cooling.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are operating under some misconceptions. Air is air, it doesn't disappear. A fan moves air from its front to its back. That's called cfm (cubic feet/minute). If you put a liquid cooler radiator in front, the fans will move a certain amount of cfm through the radiator, into the case. That's still intake. Same for if the rad was mounted up top as exhaust. Still going to move the air. It doesn't stop just because the radiator is there, it goes through.

So that Corsair Spec 05 is quite capable of mounting a 240mm AIO like the Corsair H100i series without issue, but the stated 150mm of cpu cooler clearance is either a misprint or a serious cramp in air cooler possibilities.

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
As I said per previous, I could mount a h100i v2 to my case but on the account of intake air, i didn't go for it...
As Karadjgne said, I'm havin' some misconceptions. If that is so, According to Radiators, they will put the hot air into PC... TOO RISKY. I'm a bit worried about the air that will be taken into the pc through that raditor is TOOO HEATEN UP right? if that ain't so, I'll be relived with a 240mm from any of that Dark mentioned... I've contacted with the retairlers, After Eid al Adha, the shipment would come and I could easily have a h100i v2... Just now at this point... If the air is too heat and harmful for my mobo, ram, gpu...? I'll place the h100i v2 in front and fans would be takin' air into...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Again. The radiators only cool the coolant, which averages about 10°C above ambient temps. It is not nearly the same as the cpu temp. If your aio coolant is going beyond @ 45°C under a heavy load, it's way too small for the job. Ppl have been running rads at the intake position for as long as there have been fan slots there available. With decent airflow from a couple of matching fans at exhaust, it really doesn't affect anything but the gpu, which can rise 2-3°C overall, so is negligible. Not HOT.

You'd be perfectly fine with using a rad as intake, you can even keep the RGB fans there too, just to keep it nice. If there's room, you can even mount the fans as intake on the back of the rad, push/pull for slightly better overall temps.

@Darkbreeze I'm glad to know that's not a misprint, 150mm is tight, and I've seen it before, just never seen any verification. My goto cooler for those is the Darkrock TF. I also like the Scythe Fuma, but as soon as ram is mentioned even that cooler gets iffy.

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Badly stuck back again. There'd be only one intake fan If I use this 240mm Corsair H100i v2.
Only one intake? What'y gonna say off this? Remember, 3Exausts and other two AIO exausts... These gonna be pullin' the mobo's capacitors outside

Apparently, you are having trouble understanding how all of this, or PC cooling in general, works. I would suggest that you should defer to those who DO know, which is, in this case, us, and stop trying to over-understand something that has already been established and understood for a long period of time. If there was a problem with a front mounted radiator bringing heat into the case, it would not be the standard, preferred method of installing a radiator for thousands and thousands of people.

What you are doing is like trying to figure out a way to install the engine on your car in the back, when it was designed to be installed in the front, and works perfectly fine that way. You are trying to solve a problem, where there IS no problem.

The major consideration when using a front mounted radiator, or even when using a tower air cooler, is going to be that you are getting any heat inside the case, OUT, by way of exhaust fans. That means you will want to be sure that you have two exhaust fans installed. One will be in the rear fan location on the back of the case and one should be in the top-rear position at the top case panel.

Case airflow for 99% of configurations should look like this:

kV5gIpO.jpg

Solution

Ashraf546

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I'm really sorry to bringin' you guys into such nerdy situations... I ain't at all was pretty sure about such kinds of stuff. I'd just mount a h100i v2 in front of the case and I'd put another 120mm for intake as I have the place for it.. Thanks you all guys, especially DarkBreeze and the other guy ;)