Is it okay to buy a refurbished SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesAllen

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I found a refurbished 60GB Corsair Force Series SSD for $90 which is a steal compared to the normal $140, but I was wondering what the opinions were on refurbished items. Am I just asking for the item to fail in the future, or are they usually completely fine.

Solution
many mfgrs just repackage drives that have been shipped in for RMA's after they ahve been unlocked/recovered. Sandforce drives havewhat's called a panic locked state for which RMA is necessary. All that's required by the mfgr is to use an engineering flash to release the locked state and restore full performance. Drives are also updated to the latest firmware as well during the process.

Thing to remember is that locked drives are usually the result of bios incompatibility/sleep transition issues and NOT due to users pounding them with data or numerous benchmarks or any sort of abuse. I would say you have a decent drive that should be fine for many years. Well.. assuming you don't panic lock it again from your end, right? lol...

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
many mfgrs just repackage drives that have been shipped in for RMA's after they ahve been unlocked/recovered. Sandforce drives havewhat's called a panic locked state for which RMA is necessary. All that's required by the mfgr is to use an engineering flash to release the locked state and restore full performance. Drives are also updated to the latest firmware as well during the process.

Thing to remember is that locked drives are usually the result of bios incompatibility/sleep transition issues and NOT due to users pounding them with data or numerous benchmarks or any sort of abuse. I would say you have a decent drive that should be fine for many years. Well.. assuming you don't panic lock it again from your end, right? lol

Hope that helped.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.