[SOLVED] Is it okay to buy an used SSD?

Jan 4, 2020
Currently i need a new SSD to replace my nearly full 60gb corsair force LS.

Now my eyes are looking into $25 used Samsung 840 EVO 120gb coz its hella cheap
this 840 evo has good performance and100% good SMART health.

But, there are other options like a BRAND NEW adata su650 120gb that can be purchased new for $30

From what i heard that samsung EVO is faster than adata, it has better controller and MLC level cache which adata doesnt have.

is samsung worth it?
which one is better?
thanks

Solution
Sorry but everyone has their budgets right?

some feel comfortable with their big ssd
and some feel okay with just 120gb to store windows and using it as a boot drive, i’m one of them.

fyi, i have another 1tb hdd to store my data.

okay then buying used ssd is not recommended, i’ll get a brand new one
do anyone have a recommendation for good performing and reasonably priced ssd out there?

If you install your OS on a 120GB SSD it's just asking for problems later. The moment you fill that drive too much it will crawl and it will as slow a spinning HDD. If you fill it up too much the moment a big windows update happens it can give you issues. This is why people is recommending 256GB minimum for your OS drive.

I said the same...
Jan 4, 2020

and some feel okay with just 120gb to store windows and using it as a boot drive, i’m one of them.

do anyone have a recommendation for good performing and reasonably priced ssd out there?

If you install your OS on a 120GB SSD it's just asking for problems later. The moment you fill that drive too much it will crawl and it will as slow a spinning HDD. If you fill it up too much the moment a big windows update happens it can give you issues. This is why people is recommending 256GB minimum for your OS drive.

I said the same thing about my SSD 256GB years ago. It wasn't long that drive was already half full. I wasn't even installing games or anything. Just small programs one by one and after a few years you're at 100GB taken. That would mean that you would have 20GB left on that 120GB SSD which is not good at all. Not for an OS drive. 256GB minimum for your OS or you have to NEVER install anything on that drive except the windows updates.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 4, 2020
how about moving user files to HDD and deleting unused windows update files after updating?

can this trick make 120gb ssd useful?
my current windows installation + updates + programs in the 60gb ssd takes up 36gb , and i have 14gb of free space. i did this trick on my current installation and managed to save 10gb of user files.

wonder if i can do the same in the 120gb ssd

USAFRet

Titan
Can you redirect the Libraries and default download location to be elsewhere? Sure.
And not everything can be redirected to the HDD. Some things do end up on the C drive anyway.
And a 120GB drive is STILL not enough.

We're just speaking from experience, here.

Sure everyone has a 'budget'. But sometimes that budget is too small to actually make things work. You go down to substandard components that will take far more of your time than it should.
You'll be living with this drive for several years.

You want a drive around $30? You're looking at second rate drives that are too small.

Squeeze in an extra $15, and get a known reliable drive, in twice the size.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-250GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0781VSXBP

Reactions: mkaafy
Jan 4, 2020
looks like $45 can fit well around my budget.
adding $15 more doesnt really hurt coz at least i got plenty amount of storage that surely enough to store windows.

i might still need to move all userdata files tho. but thanks.