is it okay to get an i5-4460 for a H81 chipset?

acaruanaop

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, so i was recently looking at parts to upgrade my PC by christmas, and after doing a lot of research i found out i could only be able to afford two things, a GTX 1050 TI, and an intel i5-4460.

I also went on pc part picker and it warned me the following message,"Some Intel H81 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

while i don't feel like this should be a problem, it is not me that will be assembling the parts to this PC, my parents feel as if a tech shop know best. Thats why i wanted conformation as to if it would be no problem for me to get the CPU and GPU I desire, thanks! :)

A lot of us are still running Haswell chips because there is no reason to upgrade, so that's a fine choice and match with a GTX 1050Ti. Give us your motherboard make and model and revision and current BIOS and that will tell for sure. The ASUS H81 Gaming for example supports the 4460 out of the box in REV C0 version:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81GAMER/HelpDesk_CPU/

acaruanaop

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

ill be honest im not the best at motherboard terminology and all i know is it an asus h-81m-s2h