[SOLVED] Is it okay to hook HDD/DVD cables to my cpu cooler?

Mar 26, 2022
So I just put my pc together yesterday and I was having trouble with the RGB on my cpu cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition).
It needed a molex cable to hook to the psu (be quiet! Straight power 11 650w platinum) and the only one I had was a cable that came with the PSU which the connector I used had hdd/dvd on it. The cooler turns on and the RGB works but I’m worried that that cable might do something to the cooler rgb. Should I buy a different cable or just use that one since it works?
Specs:
B560 tomahawk mobo
i7 10700 cpu
GeForce rtx 3070 GPU
Deepcool Matrexx 55 mesh 4f

Solution
No it’s just to the cooler. It goes from the PSU, to the RGB controller for the cooler. I have a molex cable that comes from my case and it has a female and male side but idk if it’s an extra or if I should hook it up to the cable also.

The Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition has a power consumption of 1.9W, it's a very small amount of power compared to what a standard Molex cable can carry.
Mar 26, 2022
Do you share the Molex cable with other devices than the cooler?
No it’s just to the cooler. It goes from the PSU, to the RGB controller for the cooler. I have a molex cable that comes from my case and it has a female and male side but idk if it’s an extra or if I should hook it up to the cable also.

Last edited:

The Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition has a power consumption of 1.9W, it's a very small amount of power compared to what a standard Molex cable can carry.

Reactions: Wade99able
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is no problem having several devices connected to Molex outputs all on the same set of wires from the PSU. It is designed for uses like that. A Molex output typically can supply a significant load - up to 11 A for each of the 12VDC and 5VDC supply lines. The HDD and DVD you have typically can draw up to 2 A each max, and the lighting Controller less than 1 A for that single load, so no problems.

Mar 26, 2022
There is no problem having several devices connected to Molex outputs all on the same set of wires from the PSU. It is designed for uses like that. A Molex output typically can supply a significant load - up to 11 A for each of the 12VDC and 5VDC supply lines. The HDD and DVD you have typically can draw up to 2 A each max, and the lighting Controller less than 1 A for that single load, so no problems.
Okay sweet thanks. I’m new to all this and I just didn’t want to fry anything.