Is it okay to pair an i5-4690k with a cheap motherboard?

Drago Slash-x

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
I have a Gigabyte GA-H81M-H motherboard I'm using now, but if I want to buy an i5-4690k in the future, is it okay to use this board until I get a much better one? Will I see any performance issues with an R9 290?

First, do you need a micro-ATX motherboard or did you just buy one because it was less expensive than a full sized ATX motherboard? If I was putting the money into a new CPU, I would not trust putting it into such a cheap mobo. There are lots of options out there for full sized ATX boards on a budget within $100(US).

If you have a Micro Center near you, look for their combo discount when buying a new CPU and mobo combined. They will beat any online E-tailer in price like NewEgg.

joex444

Distinguished
Doing that ends up costing you the price of the board you won't use after the upgrade. Personally, I would go with an i5-4690 + H97 board and not overclock or go with an i5-4690K + Z97 board + Liquid AIO/High-end air and overclock. If your budget is close to the latter but you can't stretch it, then you'll probably be better off with the former and putting the excess of your budget into a new GPU, bigger SSD, nicer case, redundant storage, or a better PSU.