is it okay to power i3-7100 using a 6pin-to-8pin adapter for the motherboard?

Dec 21, 2018
So my 400w power supply (SeaSonic SS-400ET) comes with 1x8 pin connector that I'll be using to power my RX 570, but I realized that my motherboard requires 8pin connector to power the CPU, my question is would it be fine to use a 6pin-to-8pin connector that I have laying around to use on the motherboard to power the the i3-7100?

Solution
Yep, that card REQUIRES an 8 pin connector. You need a different power supply. That 450w unit was probably not going to cut it in terms of power delivery anyhow, even though it is pretty good for an OEM style power supply.

You are going to need something like this, minimum. Not the best quality out there, but good enough, and probably better than that OEM style Seasonic, even though it's, you know, Seasonic.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $49.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-21 15:06 EST-0500

Actually, the 8 pin that comes with that power supply is an 8 pin EPS that is FOR the CPU. It CANNOT be used with the graphics card. If your graphics card requires an 8 pin connector you will need a different power supply. The EPS and PCI 8 pin connectors are entirely different and are not interchangeable, ever, at all, period.

Dec 21, 2018

Can I use the 6pin-to-8pin adapter to power up the graphics card instead?
here is my exact power supply: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151076

I know what power supply you have. I've installed fifteen or twenty of those units before.

If your graphics card requires an 8 pin PEG (PCI) connector, then you NEED a power supply WITH an 8 pin or 6+2 pin PEG connector. You cannot use the power connector for a different onboard component for the graphics card. If your power supply has a 6 pin only PEG (PCI graphics card connector) then it is not rated for the amperage required for an 8 pin connector. Buy a power supply. That is the ONLY thing you can do that is not going to potentially put your hardware at risk of damage or completely toast your system.

What country are you in?

What is the EXACT model of your graphics card?

Dec 21, 2018

It's an XFX rx 570 4gb and I live in the US.

Yep, that card REQUIRES an 8 pin connector. You need a different power supply. That 450w unit was probably not going to cut it in terms of power delivery anyhow, even though it is pretty good for an OEM style power supply.

You are going to need something like this, minimum. Not the best quality out there, but good enough, and probably better than that OEM style Seasonic, even though it's, you know, Seasonic.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $49.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-21 15:06 EST-0500

Solution