Is it okay to regularly turn off lamps (2) via a power strip rather than their individual switches?

May 8, 2018
Okay, full disclosure: I know next to nothing about electronics. I hope this is an appropriate forum. Just trying out my first little diy project: adding lights to my vanity. So here goes my question.

I just bought 2 little clip-on "ETL-listed" lamps to clamp onto the top of my vanity, but they have rotary switches instead of in-line cord switches so it will be hard to reach up to turn them off easily. I'll need a longer cord for one of them anyway, so I was thinking to kill two birds with one stone and get a power strip/surge protector to use as an on/off switch as well instead of turning off their individual switches. My question: Would that be a bad idea??

Because I know you're not supposed to do that with computers, but I don't know if that applies to lamps too. I'm mainly worried about starting an electrical fire, not so much the cheap lamps. The 2 lamps take only one 60-watt bulb each if that's important (planning to use the SORAA A19 11-watt-usage, 60-watt-equivalent LED bulbs).

Oh and side note, it's a wooden (expensive) vanity- is it still okay to attach lamps if that's the case?? The lamps have rubber-coated clamps, and I'm using LED lights, but I'm slightly worried about it turning into a fire hazard. I have a 30-day return policy on these lamps. Any info/advice is appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

Solution
this isn't *quite* the right forum (We're about computers and not just electrical appliances) but there is no difference to the lamp if you power it off at the switch or the power strip.

As for the clamp, that depend on the kind of wood. the rubber will help reduce any potential damage, but a really soft wood might still be affected.
this isn't *quite* the right forum (We're about computers and not just electrical appliances) but there is no difference to the lamp if you power it off at the switch or the power strip.

As for the clamp, that depend on the kind of wood. the rubber will help reduce any potential damage, but a really soft wood might still be affected.

Solution
May 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your answer, that's really helpful! I feel a lot better about this now. Also, thanks for the warning about possible damage. I would never have thought about checking the type of wood. And I'll be sure to ask a computer-related question next time then!