[SOLVED] Is it okay to run a Ryzen 9 5950x/5900x on an ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM?

Oct 21, 2022
Hello, I am planning to upgrade my cpu at the end of the year but I am not sure how much my current motherboard can handle. I know it technically supports them, but is it really a good idea? And if I would need a new motherboard, which would be the most budget-friendly alternative? Thanks.

Solution
You can run a 5950x or lower on anything AM4 that'll support the cpu. They'll only pull the 142w socket limit in stock configuration. The only reason to have any need whatsoever with Ryzens for higher performance VRM's is if you treat the Ryzen like an Intel and overclock with static locked core frequencies. Ryzens govern themselves with power, voltage or thermal limits, whichever comes first.

Power phases are about stability, especially concerning OC. That's all. A 12 phase Asus will have better, more stable OC potential than a 6 phase Asrock. That's all. The caveat to that is how the phases are run, whether doubler circuits or single, whether 90Amp or 60Amp etc so a 10phase Gigabyte is often the equivalent of a 16 phase Asus.
I’m using a 5900x on an asrock ab350 pro 4, but I don’t know what the vrms on your board look like. You may consider the 5700x since it’sa 65 watt cpu and is decent bang for buck.

If this is your board I think I’d definitely consider the 5700x. Don’t care for the look of the vrms on that board personally.

Reactions: FranGamer1892
Oct 21, 2022
You’d probably want to go to a b550 with good vrms, but if you are doing that I’d probably recommend picking up a b660 board and an Intel cpu.

My board may be on the same tier as yours, but I think my board has a 6+2 power delivery so I can probably get away with a bit more. On yours if you run the 5900x maybe it works, but it’s possible that either the board fries, or that the board throttles your cpu to protect itself and the board.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have a b450 Arous pro from gigabit and it has no problem with the 5900x

i recently built with an ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming and it would also handle a 5900x. i went with the mini itx but they also have a normal atx board that runs pretty cheap.

there are of course plenty of the more popular models that easily handle it but if you are thinking lower budget one of those would be good enough. though with a $400 cpu, a $75 mobo is kind of a slap in the face to it. :)

i went with the GB for a 3600x at first and only upgraded when prices dropped on the 5900x. i was prepared to get a new mobo if needed but was surprised the board handled it fine so i stayed with it.

Oct 21, 2022
i have a b450 Arous pro from gigabit and it has no problem with the 5900x

i recently built with an ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming and it would also handle a 5900x. i went with the mini itx but they also have a normal atx board that runs pretty cheap.

there are of course plenty of the more popular models that easily handle it but if you are thinking lower budget one of those would be good enough. though with a $400 cpu, a $75 mobo is kind of a slap in the face to it. :)

i went with the GB for a 3600x at first and only upgraded when prices dropped on the 5900x. i was prepared to get a new mobo if needed but was surprised the board handled it fine so i stayed with it.
I just realized I would need micro ATX, not normal ATX. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can run a 5950x or lower on anything AM4 that'll support the cpu. They'll only pull the 142w socket limit in stock configuration. The only reason to have any need whatsoever with Ryzens for higher performance VRM's is if you treat the Ryzen like an Intel and overclock with static locked core frequencies. Ryzens govern themselves with power, voltage or thermal limits, whichever comes first.

Power phases are about stability, especially concerning OC. That's all. A 12 phase Asus will have better, more stable OC potential than a 6 phase Asrock. That's all. The caveat to that is how the phases are run, whether doubler circuits or single, whether 90Amp or 60Amp etc so a 10phase Gigabyte is often the equivalent of a 16 phase Asus.

Solution
Oct 21, 2022

Excellent, thank you!

To add to this, I found out about power delivery a bit last night. I recently updated on my system to 1440p. At 1080p I’d not had any issues. I was using a vetroo v5 tower cooler for my cpu. Long story short I started early in the morning having buzzing and instability. I had purchased the new Gotham knights game and also uncharted.

When I say instability, my USB Bluetooth key was disconnecting from my Xbox controller and I’d have to unplug it and plug it back in. Also while playing uncharted, it got really slow and started throttling the game back pretty bad to about being unplayable.

The fix I think is that I pulled an old wraith prism cooler from my parts pile, yanked off the tower cooler and installed the prism. So far things seem more stable. Nothing overclocked. The cpu temps were fine with the vetroo cooler but I surmise the wraith prism with the fan blowing down towards the board, that it may be giving the vrms just a little extra airflow.

So yes a 5900x may technically work on your board but don’t be surprised if you have issues. Below is a link to my board and you can see the difference in vrms between mine and yours. So that’s why I’d stick to the 5700x in your case.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Wraith Prism, even though Stock, was designed for the 105w cpus, the Vetroo 5 was designed primarily for the 65w cpus.

Simply put, the Vetroo isn't designed for the 5900x power draw and the Prism is a better cooler as such. I'd suspect that the detail settings in game are more taxing on the cpu at 1440p than at 1080p, since detail settings include both gpu and cpu bound settings.

TRENDING THREADS