Question Is it okay to turn off the Power Supply when in not use?

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I just always shut off the power supply when I am not using the computer. I use a lot for gaming and browsing research purposes.

I have a good high end rig and I wonder if shutting down the PSU power button daily would reset the CMOS battery? A worker at a computer shop told me that it resets the PSU? Or is it because I accidently shocked the I/O panel? I do ground myself before I touch my PC. It's one of these days. It's just that I had to check bios if maybe the timer was wrong. The clock time was wrong. I hope unplugging the hard drive while the PSU is off isn't a bad idea and would cause that too or shutting down the PSU power button? I have a Corsair Gold rated PSU and it's a 750watt and it has a 10 year warranty.

This is my rig

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 GAMING-E
Corsair 16gb 3000mhz
Samsung 860 500gb SSD
Seagate SSHD 1TB FireCuda
Corsair 750RMx
Corsair Cooler H100i RGB
EVGA 1060 6GB SSC
Windows 10

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Shutting off the PSU is fine, but I see no reason to do that on a regular basis.
I only recommend turning it off when doing work, or leaving it for an extended period of time.

Okay alright then I wonder what is the cause of bios time changing to military numbers? Is that normal or did I not ground myself? I hope I didn't shock my PC but I'll be careful next time. I hope Unplugging the cord in the outlet while PC is off doesn't do anything too. I know it doesn't. Thanks!

Could have just been a glitch, or the CMOS battery dying without any power coming from the wall.
I highly doubt its a result of any sort of shock or similar.

If that issue persists, I would recommend looking into it further once you eliminate the PSU switch as a potential cause.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Shutting psu off will shut off the permanent 5v and 12v and the motherboard battery will be used instead thus shorting the life of that battery. In use, a battery will last 10years easily (because it's not used really when the psu is plugged and on) while an unplugged pc will get 2-3-4years of use of battery.
The benefiet is taking off the voltage of the input circuit inside the psu. The psu has input filters and a bulk capacitor and a standby trasformer that powers the startup circuit.. so the startup circuit is in stanby all the time until it gets the green flag from the motherboard to power up. So this circuit will be turned off so it may have less wear, yet that bulk capacitor is not doing any hard work so wear wise the difference is minimal between off or on. (same is with your tv or any device that you can power with a remote control.. i guess you don't unplug the tv all the time, and yet some still work after 30years in standby (they fail in other areas, but rarely is the input startup circuit))

So to forget about bios battery is just better to leave the psu on, and leave that switch alone.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Fair enough. I will do that from now on. At least my older build lasted 7 years and I never had problems. I'll take this route and see how things go. I am sure not concerned at all whatsoever because all of my parts have full standing warranty.