[SOLVED] Is it okay to use an internal hard drive as an external hard drive?

Apr 29, 2020
So I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 with the media creation tool and I cant find any USBs or DVDs around, and getting one in the current situation that we're in is quite difficult, so my question is can I use my current hard drive as an external hard drive just to install windows 10 and then use it as an internal hard drive again? if yes, then how? I'm installing windows 10 on an m.2 by the way not on that hard drive, I only use the hard drive for storing files.
Also the hard drive is empty at the moment.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm clueless when it comes to these types of things.

Solution
You still would need an adapter from SATA to USB to use it as external hard drive

Don´t you have a friend or neighbor with a USB thumb drive you could ask?

not recommended, but:
Do you have a hard drive with win10 around? you could clone this drive to your M.2. If the M.2 boots up with it, you can reset windows and change the licence key to the one you owned for this PC.
You still would need an adapter from SATA to USB to use it as external hard drive

Don´t you have a friend or neighbor with a USB thumb drive you could ask?

not recommended, but:
Do you have a hard drive with win10 around? you could clone this drive to your M.2. If the M.2 boots up with it, you can reset windows and change the licence key to the one you owned for this PC.

Solution