Question Is it okay to use Intel XMP rams on AMD boards or should I get a RAM made specifically for AMD EXPO?

Jun 24, 2023
I have heard about compatibility issues using Intel XMP RAMs on AM5 motherboards, or having to manually alter the timings in the BIOS settings to get the full speed of the RAM instead of simply turning on AMD EXPO in the BIOS settings if you choose to use an Intel XMP certified RAM instead of an AMD EXPO certified RAM. On Reddit someone stressed the importance of getting RAM with a lower CL timing when I asked what them which RAM I should get and recommended me this one:

It is the same brand and model and has the same mhz as this one:

but this one has a higher CL timing of 36 instead of 30 like the other one. This one is $10 more than the one they mentioned to me, but this one is AMD EXPO certified. Which one do you guys think I should get?

What you should want is ram that is explicitly supported by the combination of motherboard and processor.
This will be found in the motherboard ram qvl list or by seeing explicit support in the ram vendor(G.skil) ram support list.
Not all seemingly similar ram will be properly supported.

Ram will have settings of speed, timings and voltage set in the motherboard.
Ram makers make this easy by embedding one or more sets of such settings in the ram itself.
On an Intel motherboard you call this out by selecting a XMP profile.
On and AMD motherboard the similar function is called EXPO.

Pick the kit that is explicitly supported.
If both are supported, the kit with 30 timings will perform marginally better, but will also cost more.