Question Is it possible a computer component can corrupt 2 gpu's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic 40

Titan
Herald
No you don't need two pcie cables, one should work fine with a gpu like that.

Just had a problem i solved where a pc wouldn't do intense graphical stuff without shutting down. The solution there was to use two cables,maybe the one singular used (like you do now) had to much resistance or something in the way the second connector was fitted gave issues,i don't know,but it helped there so i sometimes suggest to try it.

In that picture you see that the connectors are 8 pin or 6 pin and the odd 18+10 one for the motherboard,the 8 pin connectors are for cpu+pcie cables the 6 pin are for sata/molex.

Aug 6, 2019
No you don't need two pcie cables, one should work fine with a gpu like that.

Just had a problem i solved where a pc wouldn't do intense graphical stuff without shutting down. The solution there was to use two cables,maybe the one singular used (like you do now) had to much resistance or something in the way the second connector was fitted gave issues,i don't know,but it helped there so i sometimes suggest to try it.

In that picture you see that the connectors are 8 pin or 6 pin and the odd 18+10 one for the motherboard,the 8 pin connectors are for cpu+pcie cables the 6 pin are for sata/molex.
Do keep in mind that I will switch my gpu to a RTX 2070 Super or a 2070/ 2080 (maybe). Still fine with using 1 pci cable?

The one that's in right now is only for testing purposes for a few days so I know my new gpu wouldn't be death on arrival.

Ah ok didn't know that, so the 3rd block/slot on the first row (horizontal) if you count from the left can be used for gpu too or plugging in second pci cable like you suggested for troubleshoot?

Aug 6, 2019
The one cable still should be enough,but if you might get problems doing something stressfull on the gpu test with two cables before sending things back.
Oh ok thank you so much for helping, i think too that the psu was bad and causing issues, lets see in the next couple days.

Aug 6, 2019
Just had 2 artefacs in 8-9 hours playing. But these where different. Looked like seperated rows of blocks with dots in it. I was playing csgo when it happened, was searching for games or loading. Can it be due to my gpu that has 1gb vram or is it still the issue of my pc? :(

If it happens my pc reboots, I don't have blackscreens just artefacts lines and then it gets more lines till it restarts.

Those artifacts looks completely different. Previous ones where subtle and in lines. Those new ones are blocks.
View: https://imgur.com/2Y9PdbO

Maybe videocard sagging? I mean it looks and feels pretty tight but you can still move it a bit. The latch on that gpu tightener broke off like i said before, could the pci slot maybe be broken?

I'm using a gtx 560 that i borrowed from my brother but he told me he had artefacts too with that card long long ago and never selled it for that reason.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019
That looks like gpu,might be the pcie slot since being broken,but can only know for sure when testing with another gpu.
I noticed that memory and GPU stats was 100% too in utilization of the gpu , can that cause it too?

It usually starts out like this:
View: https://imgur.com/CRuBlvW

and
View: https://imgur.com/a/lhQa89u

and then transforms in the picture of the previous comment, after that restart pc.

Ye i'll test with anothre gpu (gts 250), but the only one i have let is one with 0.5gb vram so gaming on it is kinda hard but i'll try csgo on it. My brother says he remember that there was something wrong with that old gpu (thats now in) and probly had artifacts, but it worries me a bit.

+12V = 11.088V and +5 is 5000V this are my voltages with new psu.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS