[SOLVED] Is it possible a computer component can corrupt 2 gpu's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thomas4140

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
I have bought a new graphic card: ZOTAC - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER .

The problem is that the graphic card is defective.

It worked nicely for the first days, but no longer afterwards. At day 3: small graphic artifacts appeared on the screen.

The next days the gpu always caused a flickering or complete blackscreen when booting up as soon as i start my computer in normal mode then restarts my computer. https://streamable.com/ohktc

This is not a driver issue, since I download and tried older / latest drivers and they still ended up causing flickering and eventually black screen and restart. I uninstalled all drivers with DDU multiple times and checked manually too. Also reinstalled windows 10 Pro and stresstested my pc, tested on multiple monitors.

As soon as i go into higher resolution than the standard 1024x786 (or something like that) The monitor starts flickering and blackscreening. Or if i update drivers it is causing same thing.

To test if it was my gpu or other component that was causing this, I switched between my Radeon R9 390 8G multiple times with the rtx 2070 super. They both ended up giving blackscreens, even on the another computer with completely new hardware and monitor.

I brought my computer and 2070 to my local repair/pc shop to test what's wrong.
He build a fresh new hardware setup to test if any of these components (cpu, psu, motherboard) in my computer where causing the problem. But the gpu gave the same blackscreens despite being in his new hardware setup computer.

Today i went to get my pc and 2070 back, and asked him if he could try out the radeon r9 390 on his new hardware rig, and it also has the blackscreen like the same as my desktop home.

He also tested with 4 other graphic cards on my OWN computer and they all worked fine.

Is this just coincidence or bad luck? It's really weird that both die at the same time. I tried almost everything and the repairer did too on completely different hardware.

MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 3

CPU: Intel CORE I7-4790K 4.00GHZ

PSU: ANTEC EDG750W

RAM: 16GB DDR3 - 1600 mhz

Solution
The one cable still should be enough,but if you might get problems doing something stressfull on the gpu test with two cables before sending things back.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No you don't need two pcie cables, one should work fine with a gpu like that.

Just had a problem i solved where a pc wouldn't do intense graphical stuff without shutting down. The solution there was to use two cables,maybe the one singular used (like you do now) had to much resistance or something in the way the second connector was fitted gave issues,i don't know,but it helped there so i sometimes suggest to try it.

In that picture you see that the connectors are 8 pin or 6 pin and the odd 18+10 one for the motherboard,the 8 pin connectors are for cpu+pcie cables the 6 pin are for sata/molex.

Thomas4140

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
No you don't need two pcie cables, one should work fine with a gpu like that.

Just had a problem i solved where a pc wouldn't do intense graphical stuff without shutting down. The solution there was to use two cables,maybe the one singular used (like you do now) had to much resistance or something in the way the second connector was fitted gave issues,i don't know,but it helped there so i sometimes suggest to try it.

In that picture you see that the connectors are 8 pin or 6 pin and the odd 18+10 one for the motherboard,the 8 pin connectors are for cpu+pcie cables the 6 pin are for sata/molex.
Do keep in mind that I will switch my gpu to a RTX 2070 Super or a 2070/ 2080 (maybe). Still fine with using 1 pci cable?

The one that's in right now is only for testing purposes for a few days so I know my new gpu wouldn't be death on arrival.

Ah ok didn't know that, so the 3rd block/slot on the first row (horizontal) if you count from the left can be used for gpu too or plugging in second pci cable like you suggested for troubleshoot?

Thomas4140

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Just had 2 artefacs in 8-9 hours playing. But these where different. Looked like seperated rows of blocks with dots in it. I was playing csgo when it happened, was searching for games or loading. Can it be due to my gpu that has 1gb vram or is it still the issue of my pc? :(

If it happens my pc reboots, I don't have blackscreens just artefacts lines and then it gets more lines till it restarts.

Those artifacts looks completely different. Previous ones where subtle and in lines. Those new ones are blocks.
View: https://imgur.com/2Y9PdbO

Maybe videocard sagging? I mean it looks and feels pretty tight but you can still move it a bit. The latch on that gpu tightener broke off like i said before, could the pci slot maybe be broken?

I'm using a gtx 560 that i borrowed from my brother but he told me he had artefacts too with that card long long ago and never selled it for that reason.

Last edited:

Thomas4140

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
That looks like gpu,might be the pcie slot since being broken,but can only know for sure when testing with another gpu.
I noticed that memory and GPU stats was 100% too in utilization of the gpu , can that cause it too?

It usually starts out like this:
View: https://imgur.com/CRuBlvW

and
View: https://imgur.com/a/lhQa89u

and then transforms in the picture of the previous comment, after that restart pc.

Ye i'll test with anothre gpu (gts 250), but the only one i have let is one with 0.5gb vram so gaming on it is kinda hard but i'll try csgo on it. My brother says he remember that there was something wrong with that old gpu (thats now in) and probly had artifacts, but it worries me a bit.

+12V = 11.088V and +5 is 5000V this are my voltages with new psu.