[SOLVED] Is it possible at all to overclock this system?

Solution
It runs the games I like (mostly CSGO and stuff) But I'd just like to make them (fps) faster. Anyway, I give up. My bios doesn't have overclocking and I've tried every program out there for overclocking. I did order an SSD which should make my operating system faster, at least.

Anyway, I'm having fun trying to upgrade this relic.

Some say going from a HDD to a SSD has no impact on FPS in games. And that is true, however, you will notice better overall performance. Games keep a cache of the files they need. So when you walk into a room, or different part of the map, the CPU will grab these files off of the SSD as they are needed. The faster your storage is, the faster textures, or parts of a map will be loaded in which can...
You cant overclock that CPU, even if you had a Z series motherboard.
And with that motherboard, i think only overclocking your GPU (if you have a discrete graphics card) is possible, through MSI Afterburner or other overclocking programs.

Jun 1, 2021
It runs the games I like (mostly CSGO and stuff) But I'd just like to make them (fps) faster. Anyway, I give up. My bios doesn't have overclocking and I've tried every program out there for overclocking. I did order an SSD which should make my operating system faster, at least.

Last edited:

Some say going from a HDD to a SSD has no impact on FPS in games. And that is true, however, you will notice better overall performance. Games keep a cache of the files they need. So when you walk into a room, or different part of the map, the CPU will grab these files off of the SSD as they are needed. The faster your storage is, the faster textures, or parts of a map will be loaded in which can greatly increase the overall performance of a game IF that was an issue to begin with. This will moreso be true for bigger world games, maybe wont see much of a difference on CSGO as the maps are small. But yea something to keep in mind about going to SSD. Not to mention, very good SSD's are becoming more affordable every year. Soon HDD's will only be a memory, like dial up internet :)

Solution

need4speeds

Distinguished
Yeah you can.. A program called Throttlestop (There are others) can set the cpu at its max Turbo core for 4 cores. You will have to make sure the cpu has enough cooling since this will make it run hotter too. My Garage PC that's a locked SFF HP with a i5-2500 runs at 3.4ghz on all 4 cores. Stock is 3.3ghz so it's a measly 100mhz OC. The i5-2400 can run at 3.2 ghz on all 4 cores on a locked oem board instead of 3.1ghz. Once your happy with the way Throttlestop is running, you can put it into the Startup folder so it starts with windows.
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-2400 CM8062300834106.html

Jun 1, 2021
Yeah you can.. A program called Throttlestop (There are others) can set the cpu at its max Turbo core for 4 cores. You will have to make sure the cpu has enough cooling since this will make it run hotter too. My Garage PC that's a locked SFF HP with a i5-2500 runs at 3.4ghz on all 4 cores. Stock is 3.3ghz so it's a measly 100mhz OC. The i5-2400 can run at 3.2 ghz on all 4 cores on a locked oem board instead of 3.1ghz. Once your happy with the way Throttlestop is running, you can put it into the Startup folder so it starts with windows.
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-2400 CM8062300834106.html

Jun 1, 2021
Is it possible to fit this chip (intel i7 2700k 3.5 ghz) in this
computer ( Dell Optiplex 790 with the generic Dell motherboard) And over clock it?
I've looked all over the net and I get some people who can and some people who can't.

Jun 1, 2021
Well it worked. My computer chip is hanging around 3.2 , 3.3 and 3.4.
Are there any other programs that will work to overclock once the throttle has stopped?

Last edited: