Is it possible connect my modem with router without a coax cable?

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
Hello all,

I joined to forum hoping someone would be able to help me. I'd like not to contact Comcast because last time I talked to them they kept trying to tell me to rent their modem instead of using my own. Anyhow, I have the SB6121 cable modem with NETGEAR WNR3500L N300 router. I just moved into an apartment and got Comcast xFinity with just internet (but my package offers free HBO and some free channels...). The Ethernet cable is in my bedroom (also where my desktop is) and the cable outlet plug is in the living room (probably where most people setup their tv).

I would like to setup my cable modem in my bedroom so that all I have to do is plug in my Ethernet cable that is in my bedroom to the modem and the router without the coax cable. Would that be possible? If not, would I be able to plug my modem in the living room with the coax cable and plug my router to the Ethernet plug of my bedroom?

What would you guys recommend? I would like to be able to also watch my free channels and HBO that came with my internet package in the living room... If none of these options work, what is the use of the Ethernet outlet in my bedroom? Comcast will charge me $50-$60 for a tech guy to come in and set everything up. But since I just moved into an apartment after college graduation, I'd like to save money as much as possible.

Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it. Let me know if you need more details!!

It depends where the ethernet port in your wall goes. If you have a ethernet port in the living room near the cable port you could leave the modem in the living room and plug the ethernet into the wall there and run the router in your room.

The main issue is you need to find a way to connect the ethernet port in the living room to the one in the bedroom. It depends where these wires go. Many times there is a central location in some closet. Depending on if there are jack or cables at the other end you would need either a cable or a rj45 coupler to connect them.

Be aware many times these jacks are cabled for phone and and not actually ethernet data jacks.

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015

So it's not possible to just have my modem plugged into the Ethernet port? Bummer. I guess I'll have to get a wireless card for my desktop...

galerecon

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
I would have to run it along the walls on the floor and I'd like to not have any wires running on the floor. It's ok, I'll leave it the way it is. The cable wall plug is not working anyway :/ I called up Comcast and they're charging me to have a guy come and check my wall plug...