Question Is it possible for a faulty CPU to blow a motherboard?

paulfoel

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
See my previous question......
PC powered on briefly then powered off.

Anyway, managed to get hold of spare mobo/cpu (call them mobo B and CPU B). And it worked.

Same CPU socket, so tried original cpu (call it cpu A) in the new mobo (call it mobo B). Didn't work - same as before. Thought ah faulty CPU it is.
Trouble is now reverted to previous working seletion (mobo B and cpu B) and thats displaying the same!

So, is that even possible? Is there any way that the original CPU A managed to blow the first motherboard (A) and, now I've tried it in the 2nd motherboard (B) its blown that one too?

Its weird, no lights, no beeps, fans start for about 5 seconds then powers off.

Yes. A CPU with an internal short to ground can take out the motheboard VRM, for instance. There are potentially any of several VRM's on the motherboard that provide various voltages to the CPU, so take your pick which it is.

The fun thing is: put a good CPU in that just now ruined motherboard and it could be ruined!

paulfoel

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
not great. pretty sure thats whats happened here.....

As I said, putting it all back as it was and its not working. Only change is the potentially dodgy cpu has been in the working mobo.

Could be expensive. In my case, luckily amazon have offered a refund on mobo and cpu - yay £400. Only casualty is friends spare mobo but we're talking £30-£40 on ebay here.