[SOLVED] Is it possible for a motherboard to not recognize an SSD?

Sep 4, 2020
Hi guys.

Like the title, I was wondering if you'd know of any reason for a motherboard/BIOS to not recognize an SSD?

I have a Lenovo G450 2949 and a Toshiba Satellite P205-6337 that exhibit the same problems:

Problem: Both can recognize SATA HDD. When an SSD is installed, BIOS does not see it, but any Windows Installer (7, 8, 10) booted from USB can and will see the SSD. Windows 10 will refuse to install on it though, citing a possible BIOS incompatibility. Multiple Linux distros on a live CD will see the SSD as well and can install.

Bootups will fail on both, as the BIOS doesn't see the SSD. The PXE-e61 Media Test failure always comes up.

SATA port works well with a couple of platter HDDs so that rules out SATA port issues, right?

All test SSD's work perfectly in other, more modern machines. Perfect health too. SSD Firmwares up to latest spec. So this being an SSD problem seems improbable.

BIOS on the Toshiba is very basic and has no SATA controller modes (IDE/AHCI). The Lenovo does but switching it around has no effect on the BIOS recognizing the drive.

I've pretty much given up on these two, but it just makes me wonder as to why?

My assumption is that it's a BIOS thing, as the sata controller clearly communicates with the SSDs.

So is it possible that older, SATA equipped motherboards are missing something in their firmware to utilize SSDs? And that the earlier assumption of a lot of people that "as long as you have a SATA port any SSD will work" is wrong?

Would love to have some knowledge dropped on me.

Thank you!

Solution
Hi Gerald. Yes I mentioned that AHCI was on, but the SSD still couldn't be detected by BIOS. The Windows Installer and Linux live distros can see it though.

So that kinda rules out a bad sata port or controller right?
Yeah, they recognize the HDD, so SATA port is not the problem.
and I'm sorry I not realize if you already check the AHCI settings.

How about clean and format the SSD by diskpart (command prompt), before you installing the windows ?
Hi guys.

Like the title, I was wondering if you'd know of any reason for a motherboard/BIOS to not recognize an SSD?

I have a Lenovo G450 2949 and a Toshiba Satellite P205-6337 that exhibit the same problems:

Problem: Both can recognize SATA HDD. When an SSD is installed, BIOS does not see it, but any Windows Installer (7, 8, 10) booted from USB can and will see the SSD. Windows 10 will refuse to install on it though, citing a possible BIOS incompatibility. Multiple Linux distros on a live CD will see the SSD as well and can install.

Bootups will fail on both, as the BIOS doesn't see the SSD. The PXE-e61 Media Test failure always comes up.

SATA port works well with a couple of platter HDDs so that rules out SATA port issues, right?

All test SSD's work perfectly in other, more modern machines. Perfect health too. SSD Firmwares up to latest spec. So this being an SSD problem seems improbable.

BIOS on the Toshiba is very basic and has no SATA controller modes (IDE/AHCI). The Lenovo does but switching it around has no effect on the BIOS recognizing the drive.

I've pretty much given up on these two, but it just makes me wonder as to why?

My assumption is that it's a BIOS thing, as the sata controller clearly communicates with the SSDs.

So is it possible that older, SATA equipped motherboards are missing something in their firmware to utilize SSDs? And that the earlier assumption of a lot of people that "as long as you have a SATA port any SSD will work" is wrong?

Would love to have some knowledge dropped on me.

Thank you!
Could be BIOS setting. But I'm not sure where is it, since every BIOS have different menu. But you can check for SATA option, make sure they are set as "AHCI".

Sep 4, 2020
Could be BIOS setting. But I'm not sure where is it, since every BIOS have different menu. But you can check for SATA option, make sure they are set as "AHCI".
Hi Gerald. Yes I mentioned that AHCI was on, but the SSD still couldn't be detected by BIOS. The Windows Installer and Linux live distros can see it though.

How about clean and format the SSD by diskpart (command prompt), before you installing the windows ?

Solution
Sep 4, 2020

Hi! Yes I've done that already. But here's a big update!

I took a chance and got an optical drive bay caddy. I checked the ODD port and it was SATA, not PATA. So I said, what the hell, nothing to lose. I placed the SSD in the caddy and guess what? The motherboard and BIOS finally saw the SSD!

SO I've basically solved the problem by process of elimination, but I still don't know why it got solved. 🤣

So although I'm glad I got the SSD to work, I'm still open to hear any opinions, thoughts, or ideas about just what's going on here. :D

Hi! Yes I've done that already. But here's a big update!

I took a chance and got an optical drive bay caddy. I checked the ODD port and it was SATA, not PATA. So I said, what the hell, nothing to lose. I placed the SSD in the caddy and guess what? The motherboard and BIOS finally saw the SSD!

SO I've basically solved the problem by process of elimination, but I still don't know why it got solved. 🤣

So although I'm glad I got the SSD to work, I'm still open to hear any opinions, thoughts, or ideas about just what's going on here. :D
Seems like they are not support the SSD to be as a primary storage.
Anyway, glad the SSD is work now.