Question Is it possible for CPU pins / CPU to be broken yet your machine function nearly normally

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
To make an extremely long story as short as possible I recently brought escape from tarkov, it wouldnt boot, infact many games for me reasontlyish wouldnt boot, I always put this down to games being S:mad:t and I did many work arounds and fixed alot of them by tinkering.
The only thing is with tarkov, it was being extra bi*chy and didnt want to play with anything I did, this lead me to do some actual computer hardware diagnostics. I got my brothers gpu into my rig and it still didnt work, I got his ram in, didnt work, I got my NVME
into his motherboard and sure enough it worked on his PC with my NVME so not a dodgy download or corrupt files or whatever. My gpu worked in his PC, Now the thing is he is intel I am AMD so we cant do any motherboard / CPU diagnostics,
and funnily enough that leaves just those two to be the possible culprits in why that game and many others have been so tricky to work for me.

About a half a year ago I was taking off my heatsink for my ryzen 2600x and it wouldnt come off so instead of twisting like an idiot slowly I yanked and boom the cpu popped out glued to the heat sink I hadnt pulled the lever up to release the CPU but it didnt hit anything on the way out and it looked good, when I went to put it back into a new motherboard it wouldnt go in, I inspect the pins, non look missing or bent but they are all off by just the tiny smallest hair amount that over the length of the socket it doesnt quite fit, so I pushed it down and it went in, pulled it back out to check and the pins looked completely in tact.

My real question is, would it somehow be possible that I have been running all this time on a CPU that doesnt work propperly but still runs AAA titles mostly fine just the odd game doesnt like it?? Or is it more likely (which I suspect as its been a B*tch ever since I got it, shoulda stayed on my MSI) that my asrock B450M f4 pro motherboard that hasnt had bios updates for my chip in aaaages is the real culprit, youd never believe but ive missed warranty by one week, serves my lazy ass right for not checking sooner and batter yet the ryzen 2600x is £130 when I brought it and is now an average of £40 more for the same chip, brilliant...

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
In a more summed up version, it seems nearly impossible to me the CPU could be damaged so slightly that it still works in every way other than with some very few games, for example halo mcc and tarkov

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Many AMD CPUs have a large assortment of unused/spare pins, or, multiple inputs of Vcore, where loss of one might not be noticed....

In your case, you could look up the actual pin map if you were that curious...

https://www.docdroid.net/6cDW11N/am4-pinout-diagram-pdf
There is not missing or visibly bent pins. So its probably most likely that the cpu / motherboard combo doesnt like the game very much. Kindve hesitant now though to go buy a new proccessor / mobo at the high cost if the issue is actually just ryzen not playing nicely with games

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Many AMD CPUs have a large assortment of unused/spare pins, or, multiple inputs of Vcore, where loss of one might not be noticed....

In your case, you could look up the actual pin map if you were that curious...

https://www.docdroid.net/6cDW11N/am4-pinout-diagram-pdf
In the end as it turns out, it was actually a faulty from the box proccessor, AMD warranty claim and they sent me a new one free of charge. Just took me a year to notice, how weird aye

TRENDING THREADS