Is it possible for HD to be a bottleneck?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I have a amd 965 BE x4 processor, 4 gigs of ram and run a win 7 64 bit pro edition. I have an 4 year old 250 gig 8mb cache WD hard drive. My computer has been experiencing lag recently, mostly when im browsing the internet and was wondering if it could be my hard drive. This hasnt happend before so i was wondering what the possible reasons could be. Thanks!

Is it a PATA HDD?
There could be a HDD error or faulty HDD which could cause your system to stick and run every few seconds....
You need to run a few analyzing programs on the HDD to get the required DATA, it usually doesn't happen unless the HDD is faulty or the Cable has a problem....

If the model# is WD2500KS (I have a few of these) then the average throughput of this drive is ~50Mb/s which is kind of slow by today's standards, but it shouldn't necessarily lag unless there is a lot of disk swapping/caching going on at the time.

If you're using a virus scanner, try temporarily disabling it. It may be scanning files in the background.

You may also want to try clearing your browser cache. Corrupt files in the cache can make the browser act wonky at times.

PATA is the Flat grey long cable that we used to have for earlier HDDs it's like a ribbon cable for the Floppy Drive (Parallel ATA) and today we generally use SATA (Serial ATA) thin sleek looking flat cables for connecting the Drives to the Mobo....

There has got to be a mistake :) 4 years ago they didn't have SATA3??
It must be a simple SATA Drive with the 3GBps thing.

I still think you need to check the drive for hard errors.... and yes do disable restore point for that drive and the anti virus.... then go ahead and try doing what you do and run a few tests too....
Post the results....

Use a utility called Crystal Disk Info.... that's free and will give you a lot of data about the drive and it's life.....
Post the screenshots here and we'll tell you whats happening.....

Technically speaking, yes your hard drive can a huge bottleneck....it is the slowest part of your PC by a long, long way. But, it also depends on what you are doing. Browsing the net is not usually something people would associate with slowdowns caused by your drive. But your internet cache can be huge, a 250gig drive is not that large anymore, and if the drive is like 70% full, and you have a lot of stuff in you temp folders and Internet cache, and IDE to on top of that, yeah you can have problems. Empty your cache, empty your temp folders, and defrag your drive. If it is close to 80% full, you may want to consider an upgrade to a faster/larger/more modern drive.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

here is the result of crystal disk. dont really know what it means. Do i need a new hard drive? thanks

harddrive.png

The first Value itself is pretty high.... the spin up time..... :(
That should be approximately in the 70-90 range....
It seems to me that your HDD is going to fail pretty soon, since it's not giving any rotation speed either, it should have been 7200 or 10000 depending on the HDD model.
High spin up time leads to lags in small files :(
So yes, it's time to back up your data on this drive and get a new fast HDD....