Question Is it possible for me to buy a certain CPU for my Computer?

Jan 17, 2020
Greetings everyone, I would like to state that I don't know much about computers.
As of recently I wanted to upgrade my computer by buying a new processor.

I've been looking at the Intel® Core™ i7-9700 Processor and the Intel® Core™ i7-9700F Processor for some time now.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but some processors only fit on very specific sockets?
So these two would only fit on a FCLGA1151 socket?

When I bought my computer, it came with what seems to be a FCLGA1155 socket.
The computer itself is the Acer Predator G3620, which I bought back in the year 2012-2013.

So my question is, if I were to buy either one of the i7 processors I mentioned above, could those fit in what I have at the moment?
Or do I need a new socket or motherboard or something?
By the way I word these things you can clearly tell I don't know what to do, so I'd like to ask you for your help.

Thanks in advance!

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
No, you can only install 3rd gen Intels on your current board. You could get a new motherboard, to support those CPUs, but you would also have to get new ram, and probably PSU too.

Jan 17, 2020
No, you can only install 3rd gen Intels on your current board. You could get a new motherboard, to support those CPUs, but you would also have to get new ram, and probably PSU too.
I've got a Corsair RMx Series RM750x at the moment as PSU and already had a seperate 16 GB RAM bought for my computer, so I assume these would suffice?
And is there any motherboard you'd recommend?

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
The PSU should be fine. The RAM won't work, it's DDR3, and you'd be switching to DDR4. Make a new thread for motherboard suggestions in that section, specify your needs and budget, and you'll get some good recommendations.

Reactions: King_V

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS