Question Is it possible for select the m.2 slot you wanna boot from on my mobo?

Oct 7, 2019
I have the ASRock AB 350 Pro 4 mobo. I know I only have one Gen 3 capable m.2 slot, via looking at the manual but I couldn't figure out whether or not I could do the following.

OK so what I wanna do is use my existing nvme 120gb m.2 drive for my OS but I wanna put it on my slower second m.2 that's only got data speeds. Then I'd like to put my bigger 1tb nvme drive on the faster Gen 3 m.2 slot.

I imagine there's a way to do this I just don't wanna screw it up. So any help would be appreciated.

And yes I know "y don't u use the 1tb drive as your OS drive" I just don't want to. Plz just focus on the previous question thxs

I have the ASRock AB 350 Pro 4 mobo. I know I only have one Gen 3 capable m.2 slot, via looking at the manual but I couldn't figure out whether or not I could do the following.

OK so what I wanna do is use my existing nvme 120gb m.2 drive for my OS but I wanna put it on my slower second m.2 that's only got data speeds. Then I'd like to put my bigger 1tb nvme drive on the faster Gen 3 m.2 slot.

I imagine there's a way to do this I just don't wanna screw it up. So any help would be appreciated.

And yes I know "y don't u use the 1tb drive as your OS drive" I just don't want to. Plz just focus on the previous question thxs

Why would you want slower drive to be your OS drive ?
Easiest way would be to do clean windows install on new NVMe drive or to clone old drive to new one.

Oct 7, 2019
Why would you want slower drive to be your OS drive ?
Easiest way would be to do clean windows install on new NVMe drive or to clone old drive to new one.
Like I said can we please just focus on figuring out if I can even use the m.2 slot that comes before the slower slot. I know some slots can only be used for boot.

That's what I'm wondering. Please just focus on that question.
Thxs

Edit: here's a link to the Manual.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1qSfy2JGZS.pdf

I'm still not fully there when it comes to understanding pcie lanes and what gets what and who gets first pick for boot.

If u could help dumb it down that would be sick. :)
Cause I know I could only boot from the first few data ports when I used a data drive to boot from. Hence why I feel there might be issues especially since in the Manual it says if m.2 (slot 1) is occupied then pcie 4 is disabled. No clue if that mean I can't boot from the second slot since it's not first. But maybe...

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019
Well, yes, you can use any combination, that's what 2 slots are there for except one in second slot will work at SATA3 speed.

As far as I've seen there isn't a huge difference when going from sata 3 to nvme speed wise. Sorta like going from 144hz to 240hz there's a difference but not really worth the hype.

Also can u explain the PCIE lanes bit. For instance is sata 3 use 2 lines aka 3gbs per lane and then does nvme use 4 lanes aka 12gbs total.

Cause I've looked into other pci accessories such as USB 3 pci e cards but ppl have said I don't have enough lanes.

Questions like that. Pretty much a crash course on pcie lanes and how there allocated. If u don't mind :)

Oct 7, 2019
Well, yes, you can use any combination, that's what 2 slots are there for except one in second slot will work at SATA3 speed.

Ok so again you've looked at the user manual and with your expertise it does say I can boot from the second m.2 slot and use the other faster m.2 slot at the same time.

There won't be any pcie lane snafu or errors I need to deal with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 7, 2019
No no I know that what I'm asking is if I can boot from that m.2 (second slot) while utilizing the first slot for my regular bigger 1tb storage.

Is that possible with out any issues like I asked the Mike guy?

Top, NVME slot uses 4 PCIe lines from CPU and bottom (PCIe x2) uses 2 lines from chipset, same as SATA controller.
PS.
I can clearly see the difference between NVMe and SATA drives when used for OS although not in all cases. Updating windows for instance or installing SW and shuffling files goes faster and doesn't bog system down like with SATA drives. Massive programs also load faster again not bogging system down.

M2_2 slot supports sata M.2 drives only. You can not use nvme M.2 drive in it.

Only way to have second nvme drive on this board is by using pcie M.2 adapter.

HD032AS_154347_800x800.jpg

Oct 7, 2019
Top, NVME slot uses 4 PCIe lines from CPU and bottom (PCIe x2) uses 2 lines from chipset, same as SATA controller.
PS.
I can clearly see the difference between NVMe and SATA drives when used for OS although not in all cases. Updating windows for instance or installing SW and shuffling files goes faster and doesn't bog system down like with SATA drives. Massive programs also load faster again not bogging system down.

Ok so again you've looked at the user manual and with your expertise it does say I can boot from the second m.2 slot and use the other faster m.2 slot at the same time.

There won't be any pcie lane snafu or errors I need to deal with?

Oct 7, 2019
You can boot from second M.2 slot only, if you use sata M.2 drive in it.
Nvme M.2 drive will not work in it.

BTW - what are model names of your M.2 drives? Are you sure, they both are nvme?

That's not even what I'm getting at. Plz re read the post the other guy understood what I'm asking u clearly don't for some reason.

Here - it says only sata M.2 drives are supported. Not a single word about nvme support in M2_2 slot.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#Specification

Same thing in manual (page 36) - only sata drives are listed as compatible.
Any M.2 SDD will work in any M.2 slot but it will not work at NVMe speed (PCIe x4) if MB does not have it connected to CPU supplied PCIe, only at SATA speeds.
I didn't update my signature but I moved my Samsung 960 evo, 250GB to second slot (also only SATA mode) and put new Samsung 970 in first M.2 slot. Both work and have windows 10 on each.
960 gets 3550 read and 960 gets 520 which is just about best speed for SATA3.

Reactions: TheReal_ist
Not true.
If M.2 slot supports only sata M.2 drives, then nvme M.2 drive does not work in that slot.
So how come it works for me with same conditions ???
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ 7th Generation A-Series/ Athlon™ X4Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode)
AMD X470 chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)*2
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 10

So how come it works for me with same conditions ???
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ 7th Generation A-Series/ Athlon™ X4Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode)
AMD X470 chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)*2
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 10
Not same conditions at all. OP has B350 chipset board, you have X470.

Your board with Ryzen cpu installed supports sata and nvme drives in both M.2 slots.

Oct 7, 2019
Because your motherboard and its M.2 ports are different.
Yours, they can both take either SATA or PCIe/NVMe drives.

The OP's motherboard can't.
Only one slot can take a PCIe/NVMe drive.

U guys realize that it doesn't matter I'f I get the full nvme speeds. LET ME REPEAT MYSELF

All I'm asking is if u can boot my OS from the second m.2 slot. The SPEED DOES NOT MATTER who the f*ck said it did in the first place.

Mike was right the second m.2 slot does support booting from. Please read what the OP says before running with your argument. Cause in this case u were arguing something me the OP didn't even ask u.

Thxs for the input anyways tho

Oct 7, 2019
Any M.2 SDD will work in any M.2 slot but it will not work at NVMe speed (PCIe x4) if MB does not have it connected to CPU supplied PCIe, only at SATA speeds.
I didn't update my signature but I moved my Samsung 960 evo, 250GB to second slot (also only SATA mode) and put new Samsung 970 in first M.2 slot. Both work and have windows 10 on each.
960 gets 3550 read and 960 gets 520 which is just about best speed for SATA3.

So your saying the second m.2 slot isn't connected to the cpu directly like it will be second in line access wise to the cpu lane.

OK do does that mean I'll have issues when booting from a drive in the second slot? I've heard of ppl saying it will take longer to boot just cause it doesn't have direct cpu access as the main full speed slots.

Any news on this claim you've heard of?

USAFRet

Titan
So your saying the second m.2 slot isn't connected to the cpu directly like it will be second in line access wise to the cpu lane.

OK do does that mean I'll have issues when booting from a drive in the second slot? I've heard of ppl saying it will take longer to boot just cause it doesn't have direct cpu access as the main full speed slots.

Any news on this claim you've heard of?
His statement of "Any M.2 SDD will work in any M.2 slot " is absolutely not true.
It also has nothing to do with whether your system can boot from a drive in either M.2 port.
It can.

Just be cognizant of what type of drives can go in each, SATA or PCIe/NVMe.

Oct 7, 2019
His statement of "Any M.2 SDD will work in any M.2 slot " is absolutely not true.
It also has nothing to do with whether your system can boot from a drive in either M.2 port.
It can.

Just be cognizant of what type of drives can go in each, SATA or PCIe/NVMe.

So if his statement doesn't tell me that I can boot from the second m.2 slot. U mind finding a quote in the user manual saying this is possible.

Cause like I said I don't fully get the cpu direct pcie lanes or pcie lanes in general.
Thxs