Jul 27, 2018
Hi, I currently have a hp pavilion 590-p0044 desktop, it is running a:
Ryzen 5 2400G
12gb of ddr4 2666 ram
Onboard graphics card
180W (china power supply)
2 hard drives of 500gb HDD
On a motherboard (sunflower??)

I am wondering could I move my prebuilt to a different case, change the PSU, and the motherboard.
I kinda want to keep the CPU and drives if that possible, also the rams.

Solution
So, Window OS already prepared but then what about drivers because my cpu is compatible with the case but do I need to do something for the onboard GPU to work? :D

As others have stated, drivers are attained from the manufacturers website support page for the particular part needing drivers. As said, Windows will install mostly generic drivers and get you running but to get the performance, you'll need the proper drivers.

So once you've assembled the components into the case and assured it's all running and have a display, can enter Bios etc. Plug in the USB stick configured by Windows Media Creation tool and set boot priority to USB and restart. USB boot can sometimes be automatic or a button need to be pressed to proceed...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, I saw some post saying that the driver might cause trouble to each other and wondering is that the case for my PC?

Not only drivers but activation as well. Oem companies own the OS licence which means it won't activate for you on the new board.

A clean install of Windows is highly recommended after a motherboard change. There is tutorial how to install Windows 10 from scratch in the Windows 10 section here if want to check it out.

tthetutorial

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018
Not only drivers but activation as well. Oem companies own the OS licence which means it won't activate for you on the new board.

A clean install of Windows is highly recommended after a motherboard change. There is tutorial how to install Windows 10 from scratch in the Windows 10 section here if want to check it out.
So, Window OS already prepared but then what about drivers because my cpu is compatible with the case but do I need to do something for the onboard GPU to work? :D

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 10 installs basic drivers usually good enough for the PC to work. They will be a driver disc with the motherboard but it best to go to the motherboard manufacturers site and download the latest drivers your your board.

You must have a 8GB stick and a 4GB stick of memory since that board only has 2 slots.

tthetutorial

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018
Windows 10 installs basic drivers usually good enough for the PC to work. They will be a driver disc with the motherboard but it best to go to the motherboard manufacturers site and download the latest drivers your your board.

You must have a 8GB stick and a 4GB stick of memory since that board only has 2 slots.
So i need to wipe out my hard drives first right like formatting it?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well if you have anything on it you can't replace back it up first. If your not running the hard drives in raid then just hook up the one with windows on it and install windows 10 again that will reformat the drive by itself. Then you can install the other drive format it and assign it a drive letter then your all set.

If your running them in Raid 0 for the extra speed then you need to set up raid first in BIOS then do the same thing but with both drives installed .

tthetutorial

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018
Well if you have anything on it you can't replace back it up first. If your not running the hard drives in raid then just hook up the one with windows on it and install windows 10 again that will reformat the drive by itself. Then you can install the other drive format it and assign it a drive letter then your all set.

If your running them in Raid 0 for the extra speed then you need to set up raid first in BIOS then do the same thing but with both drives installed .
Alright will try that, thank you. Is there anything about AMD drivers conflicting with the motherboard itself?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

As others have stated, drivers are attained from the manufacturers website support page for the particular part needing drivers. As said, Windows will install mostly generic drivers and get you running but to get the performance, you'll need the proper drivers.

So once you've assembled the components into the case and assured it's all running and have a display, can enter Bios etc. Plug in the USB stick configured by Windows Media Creation tool and set boot priority to USB and restart. USB boot can sometimes be automatic or a button need to be pressed to proceed.

Once in the install process, you'll want to do custom option and wipe the destination drive as explained in this video and also the guide here at Tom's. Make sure to back up your personal files / Steam games etc if you don't want to download them again. Other installed programs will have to be reinstalled afterwards.

See video. Custom install option starts from roughly 4:00.

After Windows is installed, depending which motherboard you get, google search the motherboard model and the website should popup. Head to the support page and look for drivers. The main drivers are usually Chipset, Sata, Audio and Lan. The APU driver you can get directly from AMD, just search Ryzen 5 2400G driver. Motherboard websites offering APU/GPU drivers are often out of date.

An example. If i had an Rog Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard and wanted drivers, i'd search the model name and results will give me https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/ Then i'd go to support > Driver & Tools > Select OS and drivers will be listed. Website layout isn't exactly the same across all brands but do follow a similar standard.

Be prepared for Windows not to activate though, as i said earlier. A new motherboard replacing an OEM Pre-Built PC tied to the current licence will usually result into neeing to buy a new license, which costs around $100. Can run Win10 for free however with some limitations if need time. Playing games shouldn't be affected, it's more to do with personal preferences and cosmetic side of things. And an annoying water mark at times.

--

One more thing. Before installing Windows 10, disconnect all secondary drives except for the destination drive where you want Win10 installed to. It has a habit of putting boot files on other drives if connected and if, for whatever reason, you removed the unsuspecting drive containing the boot file, you'll be scratching your head wondering why Win10 is failing to boot. Connect your other drives back after everything is done.

Reactions: tthetutorial
Solution

tthetutorial

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018

So once you've assembled the components into the case and assured it's all running and have a display, can enter Bios etc. Plug in the USB stick configured by Windows Media Creation tool and set boot priority to USB and restart. USB boot can sometimes be automatic or a button need to be pressed to proceed.

Once in the install process, you'll want to do custom option and wipe the destination drive as explained in this video and also the guide here at Tom's. Make sure to back up your personal files / Steam games etc if you don't want to download them again. Other installed programs will have to be reinstalled afterwards.

See video. Custom install option starts from roughly 4:00.

After Windows is installed, depending which motherboard you get, google search the motherboard model and the website should popup. Head to the support page and look for drivers. The main drivers are usually Chipset, Sata, Audio and Lan. The APU driver you can get directly from AMD, just search Ryzen 5 2400G driver. Motherboard websites offering APU/GPU drivers are often out of date.

An example. If i had an Rog Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard and wanted drivers, i'd search the model name and results will give me https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/ Then i'd go to support > Driver & Tools > Select OS and drivers will be listed. Website layout isn't exactly the same across all brands but do follow a similar standard.

Be prepared for Windows not to activate though, as i said earlier. A new motherboard replacing an OEM Pre-Built PC tied to the current licence will usually result into neeing to buy a new license, which costs around $100. Can run Win10 for free however with some limitations if need time. Playing games shouldn't be affected, it's more to do with personal preferences and cosmetic side of things. And an annoying water mark at times.

--

One more thing. Before installing Windows 10, disconnect all secondary drives except for the destination drive where you want Win10 installed to. It has a habit of putting boot files on other drives if connected and if, for whatever reason, you removed the unsuspecting drive containing the boot file, you'll be scratching your head wondering why Win10 is failing to boot. Connect your other drives back after everything is done.
OK, first of all thank you soo much for the in dept explanations and instructions. Like seriously your answer was really specific. Thank you so much and for the window 10 I already bought another license because I also wanted to go for window 10 pro so some money spent on that. I don't know what to say more than thank you. I'll let you know if it going to work, I'm still waiting for some parts to be ship, and assemble to whole thing anyways thank you.

tthetutorial

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018
You're welcome.

Yeah, let us know how you go or if need any more help. Good luck!
So I upgraded it, it went pretty well and because of you I know the window wouldn’t work so I used a fresh window 10 copy.
For anyone who actually want to do it like me, the cpu heatsink would not work on a normal MAtx motherboard so I have to also buy a cpu cooler.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the update, glad it's working out. Just curious, what heatsink couldn't fit? Socket dimensions doesn't change for differing size motherboards. Wraith Stealth the 2400g comes with should fit without issue unless the pre-built company used a different cooler or bracket?

Reactions: tthetutorial

tthetutorial

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018
Thanks for the update, glad it's working out. Just curious, what heatsink couldn't fit? Socket dimensions doesn't change for differing size motherboards. Wraith Stealth the 2400g comes with should fit without issue unless the pre-built company used a different cooler or bracket?
The Hp I got has a weird position for the heat sink so it is not the wraith stealth stock cooler, they used a different cooler with bracket that had ”glued” to the motherboard