Is it possible for Windows 10 to require more than one hard drive in order to run?

Crazierinzane

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I'm currently going through the biggest computer headache I have ever had to deal with. I randomly discovered the other day that my computer had crashed without any kind of BSOD or error when I attempted to remote into it. I came back to it simply sitting at black, but lit, screen. While this event itself didn't seem too odd, it was accompanied by my external HDD failing to appear some hours prior.

When I restarted the computer I heard an unusual clicking sound and turned it off again to get a better look at what might be causing it. I ended up removing the one HDD it would likely be (the other one being unused and my OS running off an SSD, and thought that the issue would resolve on restart (without the HDD.)

Sure enough, the clicking is gone. Unfortunately, we come to the issue that has been haunting me for two days now: Windows won't start. The computer makes it past BIOS and then goes to "Preparing auto repair" followed by "Diagnosing problems" or similar where it fails to do anything and just says I might have to restart my computer, which just repeats this cycle.

Here's a quick rundown of why I am asking if Windows 10 might require more than one drive to run:

• My Windows 10 installation is on a new SSD.
    It used to be on an old HDD (the now empty one mentioned earlier.)
    I moved the pagefile onto a different, smaller, SSD.
    The HDD I thought was causing the clicking noise has the grand majority of my program installations and has had them for a long time, before I even moved my OS installation (during which it has also contained the majority of programs for when I had Windows 7 on the old HDD.)

More generic information:

• Motherboard: ASRock X58 Extreme
    Memory: 16GB DDR3 (3x4GB and 2x2GB (one stick broke long ago.))
    CPU: Intel i7 920
    GPU: NVIDIA MSI GTX 670
    Oldest HDD with nothing on it is over 9 years old.
    HDD with majority of programs around 5-6 years old.
    SSD containing Windows 10 less than three months.
    SSD with pagefile is a few years old.
    Case and PSU are probably as old as 9 years.

Things that I have tried that have probably made the issue worse:

• Messed around with BIOS settings. I believe I have undone the majority of my fix attempts.
    Command line fixes and tests like bootsect, sfc, and diskpart.
    Bootable Hirens USB and many of the associated Command line and MiniXP programs.
    Removing hardware like RAM sticks and drives to see if any of them are the singular source.

The one thing I have not tried is running a thorough boot USB antivirus, though; I did run Malwarebytes from the Hirens USB.

I'm almost at the point where I'm wanting to ask what would be the easiest way to get my files off of my SSD so that I can do a clean install of Windows 10 and still get my data and at least a list of programs back.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I'll be sure to post of any success and answer any questions that I can.

Solution

I can't tell you which failed or even if it actually failed entirely (could just be massive corruption), but once you reinstall you should know.

Just remember to load the storage controller drivers for your system if you have issues, and if that doesn't work consider installing it on one of the other drives temporarily
Sounds like you had HDD failure and screwed up your other disks in the process of trying to raise the dead! Most likely that HDD actually had your boot info, especially if you upgraded from 7 to 10

Here's a few tips:
1) Perform a reinstall, not reformat, on the Windows 10 disk, with no other disks in the system.
2) If that works, plug in one data disk at a time and back them up to an external drive
3) Replace your HDDs, 6 yr+ is unsafe
4) Do NOT try to change page file/cache locations.
5) Seriously consider getting a new system, the average age of your components is well beyond recommended.

Crazierinzane

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

Thanks for the response. You make some good points where I missed some common sense a little too late. Quick question. Do you believe that the old, empty HDD is the one that failed? I haven't actually checked it yet because I thought there would be nothing written to it. I'm able to get to all of my other drives (except for the one containing the pagefile as I haven't checked it yet either but it's an SSD so my hopes are high,) through things like command line and MiniXP.

The pagefile had also been located on that other drive for some months now without any apparent issues. I think I would go back and just disable it now if I could. I changed it originally because I read that having it on your OS SSD isn't good for the life expectancy of the SSD.

Today I ordered a new motherboard, RAM, CPU, and another HDD for my programs. The GPU and PSU seem like they should last unless I am mistaken. I'm really hoping that my OS SSD hasn't failed on me.

Unfortunately, I am unable to "Reset" Windows 10 if that is what you were aiming for. I get to the confirmation page where it tells what files will be kept and that I'll lose my programs and settings but as soon as it starts attempting the actual reset, an error occurs. It does not specify anything as to the nature of the error. I have not attempted a clean install yet due to wanting to keep what files I can. I'm more willing to do it after I have found a way to move the files off the drive.

I can't tell you which failed or even if it actually failed entirely (could just be massive corruption), but once you reinstall you should know.

Just remember to load the storage controller drivers for your system if you have issues, and if that doesn't work consider installing it on one of the other drives temporarily

Solution