Is it possible that I have a wi-fi virus but not ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G Lals

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
So I have a Asus Zenbook Pro UX501JW and on any wifi I am. when I ping my router or any router I'm on, it does 1ms, 1ms, 1ms, 100to300ms, 100to300ms, 100to300ms, 1ms, 1ms, 1ms, and it goes like that over and over whenever I'm using wifi. and I just tried with a ethernet port (I had to use a usb to etherport port because there's no ethernet port on my laptop and it's working perfectly fine...

I tried on 4 different networks so far and that's 3 different ISP and it does that everytime. But with ethernet port it's 100% fine. So my question. Is it possible that there's like a virus that spikes my wifi but the virus doesnt affect ethernet? Or is it my wifi card in my laptop that is [watch your language]?

Solution
Not a virus then, but could be a defective wireless adapter or an OS/driver issue. If the problem is recent it may more likely be a driver issue. If it has always been a problem, then hardware is more suspect.

I would check to see if there are newer drivers on the ASUS support web site and install them. Otherwise uninstall the current driver and reinstall it to see if that helps.

RealBeast

Titan
No. The problem is that wireless is susceptible to interference from other networks and radio sources, while Ethernet is not. Are there any other wireless networks around you -- download and run THIS free wifi analyzer on one of your wireless computer. The network page will show all other nearby networks by channel and strength.

G Lals

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014

Thank you for your reply. I did install inSSIDer but I don't think interference is the problem, if so, I don't see how on 4 different network it interferes at a specific intervale every single time. It spikes from 1 to 100~300(avg) and goes back to 1ms after maybe 2 seconds of lagging then 5 seconds later it start again. It does that all the time. I check with inSSIDer and at my house there's only my wifi and I'm getting a perfect signal all the time...

EDIT: I tried to put my phone out of my wi-fi range. I thought maybe it could interfere, not the case. Phone in range, not in range, still laggy.

RealBeast

Titan
Not a virus then, but could be a defective wireless adapter or an OS/driver issue. If the problem is recent it may more likely be a driver issue. If it has always been a problem, then hardware is more suspect.

I would check to see if there are newer drivers on the ASUS support web site and install them. Otherwise uninstall the current driver and reinstall it to see if that helps.

Solution

G Lals

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014

Ok thank you, Do you on know what kind of driver I should look for? Is that a thing, wireless driver or internet driver. Do you also know q program that searchs for drivers update depending on what gear you have on your pc? (To simplify the task)
Thank you.

G Lals

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014

Wow, I updated the drivers and that was the problem. thats weird but thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.