[SOLVED] Is it possible that my new and sealed PNY XLR8 3080 arrived faulty ?! o_o

Aug 18, 2021
Good morning. I Hope to find some wise advice.
I have installed the PNY 3080 on my pc, but i have black screen... the pc starts, the fans of the case and gpu run, but monitor remains black. "nothing connected" (i use Display Port for connecting the monitor to gpu)
While if I reinstalling my old GTX1070 everything returns to normal... And monitor start.
I tried to reinstall the 3080 on the MB already a couple of times to avoid installation errors.
The PSU is a V750 SFX Gold CoolerMaster (I don't think it's a lack of GPU power).
monitor Samsung 42" CRG9
MB: B450 I aorus pro wifi
BIOS firmware 60e
32GB ram
4 funs
1 SSD
1 HDD

Has anyone heard of these GPUs faulty from the factory ?! :(

Solution
Double check the power cables by swapping them, your 1070 presumably uses a single 8-pin or possible 8+6? Make sure both cables work. (I've had loose pins from the factory)

Try forcing PCIe 3.0 mode in your BIOS before you take the 1070 out.

If you have another system to test it in, do so. Or take it it to a local computer shop for verification before sending it back, could take many weeks to get a replacement.

If it does work in another system, time to take a very close look at yours.

Certainly possible for any part to arrive DOA. Just takes a component that is borderline to pass quality control and break in shipping or on first start.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Double check the power cables by swapping them, your 1070 presumably uses a single 8-pin or possible 8+6? Make sure both cables work. (I've had loose pins from the factory)

If you have another system to test it in, do so. Or take it it to a local computer shop for verification before sending it back, could take many weeks to get a replacement.

Certainly possible for any part to arrive DOA. Just takes a component that is borderline to pass quality control and break in shipping or on first start.

Solution
Hey there,

Welcome to the Forum :)

Is it possible it's arrived faulty? Sadly yes, it's possible. Is it likely? No, not really. Failure rates are typically very low. Normally just a few percent.

However, RTX 3xxx series are known to have issues with many good PSU's. A 750w PSU is the recommended, but not all 750w PSU's are made equal. Your PSU is rated highly, and is pretty good. But, with RTX 3xxx, and specially the 3080 and 3090, they have such fast switching frequency changes and load demand on the PSU, that it could be your PSU isn't up for it. Not saying it's the issue, but it's something to consider.

Edit: As @Eximo suggested, getting a different PSU/System to test in is a good way to diagnose.

Great advice (y)

Aug 18, 2021
thanks, you guys are really a great help!

As soon as my office reopens, I want to try with another PC to remove any doubts.
Meanwhile I try to follow some of your advice.

UPDATE:

I don't know what it was guys but, i swapped the two 8 pin connectors, i set the PCIe in gen3 i tried to use another smaller monitor to boot or if it was your heartfelt prayers but now it works! XD
I installed the new drivers and put my old monitor back. Thank you all!God bless you.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS