is it possible that new GPU driver slow the GPU down ???

reattera

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
i have zotac gtx 660 ti and first game i played was need for speed most wanted , setting all maxed out and it run perfectly ( i install drivers from cd only) all time 60 fps , next day i install newest updates for gpu and when i played game sometimes fps drop to 45 and then again raise to 60 and drop again ........ where is the problem , shouldnt drivers boost hardware not slowing them down, if somebody have same problem and know how the fix it , share the information .

sorry for bad english
and tnx

drifter77

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Have you tried un-installing the new drivers and go back to install the older drivers that came on the CD? Just to make sure that it's actually the new drivers that are causing the problem.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
If it's a beta driver it could be the issue; sometimes they help sometimes they hinder. Personally I never use beta drivers, I always wait for the official stable releases. As was suggested, you should test it with the previously installed driver just to be sure.

You don't need to go scouring the net or searching for the disc that came with the GPU in order to find your previous driver. Just do a system restore to the day before you installed the new driver - if the performance has gone back up, you know not to update the driver to that particular version again.