Is it possible to acces folders on a windows 2012 r2 machine from a different network?

netherlord

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Hello,

The question is in the titel =)
Some more info about my setup/plans:
I have a server running windows server 2012 r2 connected via a wire to an asus repeater wich connects wirless to my asus DSL-AC68U.

I can use the windows shared folders fine while I am st home but I would like to acces my sever from school or work using my laptop running windows 8, is this possible?

Thanks!

Solution
yes, it is possible, you need to configure routing and remote access on the 2012 server, and port forward port 1723
from outside configure the VPN connection to connect to the public IP address of your Asus router

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
yes, it is possible, you need to configure routing and remote access on the 2012 server, and port forward port 1723
from outside configure the VPN connection to connect to the public IP address of your Asus router

Solution
Is it possible? U know how much Microsoft asks for a Windows server license? if it can't do that, I would be pretty upset! ^)

Easy: Run FTP server on the box, open a couple of ports on your home router, DONE. But this is un-secured.

Harder: Run VPN between your location and home.