Is it possible to add memory from old system into new PC if speeds differ on RAM

bkapla1

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I just purchased a new Dell XPS 8500 with:
-Intel Core i7 - 3770
-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5

I was wondering if it was possible and/or worthwhile to consider adding some of the RAM from my old Dell XPS 435 to the new PC to bump the RAM up a little. If not, I'll just try to sell the RAM and components.

The speeds are different, so I'm not sure if this is even possible/advisable.
Old RAM is 6 individual sticks at 1 GB RAM each, 1067 MHz, DDR3, PC3-8500, 240 pins

Is this even possible? Would I notice any benefit going from 8GB up to 10GB with this system configuration and different RAM speeds?

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Yes it is possible.

No you should not do it.

Here are the reasons.

1. When 2 different speed RAM kits are installed, the system will change the speed of all sticks to match that of the slowest.

2. 8GB is all you need, especially for a gaming machine.
Yes it is possible.

No you should not do it.

Here are the reasons.

1. When 2 different speed RAM kits are installed, the system will change the speed of all sticks to match that of the slowest.

2. 8GB is all you need, especially for a gaming machine.

Solution

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Is it possible. Yes.
Is it suggested? No.. There are numerous reasons why you shouldn't. It could and probably would cause more degrading performance then improvement. Even if you got say 2x 4GB of the exact same ram you have now and upped it to 16GB depending on what your doing you would likely see zero difference in performance.

Gaming, browsing, watching videos etc are not going to use the full 8 gigs u have. If your video editing or something that uses those resources that's a different story. Just sell the Ram you have or keep it for another system.

bkapla1

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
On a side note then, would the components of my old PC be worth selling or worth anything (Motherboard died which is why I bought new PC and I want to keep the old HD an install it into the new PC as a 2nd drive):
-Intel Core i7-920 Processor
-ATI Radeon 4670, 512 MB Graphics Card
-6 GB RAM (6 x 1GB individual, 1067 MHz, DDR3, PC3-8500, 240 pins)
-Hitachi Lg Data Storage DVD +/- RW 16x
-and all the other dell components, not as familiar with, but the 350 W PSU, Dell Heat Sink Fan, etc.

bkapla1

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Ok, I accepted your answer... I was hoping when I clicked it, that I would get an option to split it, but I guess that's not the case. Thanks unoriginal, your answer was helpful as well.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Not a problem :) thanks for considering us both with the best answer :).

TRENDING THREADS