Question Is it possible to add physical vram to a laptop's GPU, like you give it to a professional and they solder it on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
It is not possible to physically add more VRAM to a laptop’s GPU. However, there are a few ways you can increase the amount of VRAM your laptop can use. One way is to adjust the VRAM allocation in your computer’s UEFI or BIOS. Another way is to use the Registry Editor to change the amount of Dedicated Video RAM on your computer. However, if your laptop supports thunderbolt, you can get an eGpu.

Jun 1, 2023
It is not possible to physically add more VRAM to a laptop’s GPU. However, there are a few ways you can increase the amount of VRAM your laptop can use. One way is to adjust the VRAM allocation in your computer’s UEFI or BIOS. Another way is to use the Registry Editor to change the amount of Dedicated Video RAM on your computer. However, if your laptop supports thunderbolt, you can get an eGpu.
can you give me farther instructions to change it with Registry Editor

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
can you give me farther instructions to change it with Registry Editor
  1. Press the Windows key + R and type in regedit then press enter.
  2. If you’re using Intel UHD (built in graphics), navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Intel". If you’re using an AMD APU, change the last menu option in that chain to AMD.
  3. Right-click on the Intel or AMD folder and select New > Key. Name it GMM.
  4. Select the new GMM folder and right-click in the right Windows pane the just select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  5. Name it "DedicatedSegmentSize" and give it a (Decimal) value equalling the amount of VRAM you want your GPU to have access to (no you cant exceed the amount you physically have.)

Jun 1, 2023
It changes the amount it thinks it has, or slices off and adds some astronomically slower system RAM to the GPU.
Does not increase the actual physical VRAM.
what you mean to say is that if a rtx 3060 had 8GB ram instead of 6GB isn't going to help? i mean it has more memory to render. most of the time when i'm playing it runs smoothly but after awhile it starts to drop FPS and if i have more vram, it wouldn't happen. i think the cause is that the memory is overwhelmed, cause as i said most of the time it runs smoothly on max setting

DSzymborski

Titan
what you mean to say is that if a rtx 3060 had 8GB ram instead of 6GB isn't going to help? i mean it has more memory to render. most of the time when i'm playing it runs smoothly but after awhile it starts to drop FPS and if i have more vram, it wouldn't happen. i think the cause is that the memory is overwhelmed, cause as i said most of the time it runs smoothly on max setting

No, it would help in those cases, but you can't just slap it on.

A flat bed in a pickup truck is great for transporting large items. That doesn't mean that welding a flat bed to a Ferrari will make you a pickup truck.

Now, it *is* possible for someone with elite engineering skills to jury-rig something of this nature, but if that was in your capability, you'd be so far beyond us in knowledge that it would be a waste of your time to converse with us on the subject. That's not something that your local shop or someone you simply find is going to be able to do.

USAFRet

Titan
No.
What I'm saying is that actual VRAM on a GPU is different from siphoning off some system RAM to make the GPU think it has more.

VRAM and system RAM are not the same thing.

Jun 1, 2023
  1. Press the Windows key + R and type in regedit then press enter.
  2. If you’re using Intel UHD (built in graphics), navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Intel". If you’re using an AMD APU, change the last menu option in that chain to AMD.
  3. Right-click on the Intel or AMD folder and select New > Key. Name it GMM.
  4. Select the new GMM folder and right-click in the right Windows pane the just select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  5. Name it "DedicatedSegmentSize" and give it a (Decimal) value equalling the amount of VRAM you want your GPU to have access to (no you cant exceed the amount you physically have.)
thanks. would it help if i make a save before changing the setting if anything goes wrong... i think it was called recovery point

Jun 1, 2023
No.
What I'm saying is that actual VRAM on a GPU is different from siphoning off some system RAM to make the GPU think it has more.

VRAM and system RAM are not the same thing.
correct me if i'm wrong but i think i get what you're saying now. RTX is for rendering, gaming and etc. and the Intel UHD graphics is for watching videos and things? cause i read somewhere that they have different usage

USAFRet

Titan
correct me if i'm wrong but i think i get what you're saying now. RTX is for rendering, gaming and etc. and the Intel UHD graphics is for watching videos and things? cause i read somewhere that they have different usage
A laptop will switch from iGPU to dGPU as needed.

The dedicated GPU is what it is.
What you are trying to do here is increase the 6GB of VRAM on the GPU to some larger number. There is no magic to do that.

A particular piece of software might want to see 8GB VRAM.
That registry hack may fool the software into thinking your dGPU does have 8GB VRAM.
In reeality, it still only has 6GB.

Jun 1, 2023

What you are trying to do here is increase the 6GB of VRAM on the GPU to some larger number. There is no magic to do that.

That registry hack may fool the software into thinking your dGPU does have 8GB VRAM.
okay i won't do it

Jun 1, 2023

you know i thought my dGPU was going to use that vram

Status
Not open for further replies.