Question Is it possible to add things to this mb??

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
So i found this computer at a dump a few weeks back, it would turn on but wouldnt post, i took it home and looked at it, found a bent cpu pin, so i bent it back in place carefully, and bam, it boots straight up. My question here is its from 09, so its a little old, but on the board here it seems as if i can add 2 more dimm slots and a hdmi port, plus a bunch of capacitors, i was wondering if its possible to add 2 more dimms and the hdmi with just simpally buying a correct slot/port, and soltering it to the board. Also if it is possible, why is this a thing? Ive never heard of a prebuild motherboard being able to have stuff added to it. Take a look at the pics and let me know, id love to add hdmi and quad channel memory for this intel chip.

View: https://imgur.com/a/iiYJ27a

Officially thats not a thing, if you ask intel or the mobo manufacture they will say you cannot do it.

Thats how they make cheaper and more expensive motherboards, they make one pcb, and only install certain features on certain boards. So a cheap mobo may not have HDMI and only 2 dimm slots, while the more expensive motherboard will have HMDI and 4 dimm slots.

If you can find and properly solder on all needed components it may work, or you will find that the drivers/bios is an issue as its not designed for what you've done to the board.

There are certainly people who know more about this than I do, but thats my understanding of it.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
The BIOS that is has will not know how to talk to these added devices and capabilities.

That's in addition to the incredibly intricate soldering needed. Which is normally done by a robot.
so even if i could solter these things in, the bios wouldnt know what it is and it wouldnt work? I suppose theirs no way to trick the bios to knowing what it is either is there. Darn, hoping i could have a fun diy project lol. Thanks for the help.

USAFRet

Titan
so even if i could solter these things in, the bios wouldnt know what it is and it wouldnt work? I suppose theirs no way to trick the bios to knowing what it is either is there. Darn, hoping i could have a fun diy project lol. Thanks for the help.
Correct. The BIOS, chipset, and other firmware on the board will see the new HDMI port and go...huh?
Or might not see it at all.

Is it 100% guaranteed impossible? No.
On some boards, maybe.

Well, that depends. If they've gone full-on rip-off, and included the same BIOS of the full version, or if they've at least tried to adapt it a little bit. If it's the same BIOS, it'll recognise them like normal. However, if they cut back the BIOS, you will have to get your hand on one from the full version, and flash that onto the motherboard.