Is it possible to basically block off my C Drive and have my programs install to HDD?

alejandroboss10

Prominent
Jun 27, 2018
Hey there everyone, so I have a first world problem here. So I have this 120GB SSD that is almost full and I want to install Adobe apps on my PC. I got this package from my teacher and it has a couple of Adobe's programs like Photoshop and Illustrator and I am unable to get them to install on the HDD. Every time I open up the install file, it automatically installs onto my C Drive which has very little space and not enough for the apps. Now is there a way to basically block off my C Drive so that nothing new can be installed on it or is that a no. I'm running Windows 10 and I can't seem to find a solution for this. Thanks everyone.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
First thing that I would do is go to your environment settings and move your temp file location to another drive.
Env variables TMP and TEMP.

You should also turn off any page file on your drive C:
System Properties->Performance Options->Advanced->Virtual Memory

This may free up some space.

You can also look at moving your user profiles off the C:

However your best option is to get a bigger SSD to replace your C:

I am surprised that you can't change your destination directory.

USAFRet

Titan

No, you can't default all application installs to the D drive. Nor should you try.
Some few things demand to be on the C drive, and will choke if otherwise.

Your Adobe applications are NOT normal. There should be no problem telling it to install to a different drive.
Where your teacher got them from may be the issue.

A normal Photoshop or Illustrator does allow installation on other drives.
It will try to default to the C, but you have to select Custom or Advanced during the install.

If they won't...then that is not a valid install of PS.