Is it possible to build a $200 PC that out-performs PS4 or Xbox One?

AsgeirAsgaut

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I have built quite a few PC's and know that you can build one for around $400 that is very comparable to a PS4 or Xbox One. I work with a person that was trying to convince me that you can build a PC for $200 that can out perform either console. I called BS on his claims.

He claims that you can get a PC that runs with no operating system, strictly a gaming PC. He hasn't shown me any of the parts or where exactly he gets his information from. He also refuses to include the mouse and keyboard in the cost which is strange to me because a controller and headset in included in a console purchase. If you have no operating system, how can you run games? He said you can buy a strictly gaming os, that wouldn't run much of anything but games. He also said the parts in this $200 PC are better quality than the parts used in a PS4 or Xbox One. Even if this PC does exist, it sounds to me like it would be horribly unreliable, and more restricted than a console.

If I am wrong I would like to know. I have seen numerous website attempt to build a PC comparable to PS4 and Xbox One, succeeding with $375-400 without an operating system in most cases. I am looking at all variables, overall usage such as apps, TV functions, game DVR, reliability, graphic processing, CPU, even a 1080p camera that would be comparable to Kinect, I am talking everything. I don't see how you could build a PC that cheap that can compete on all ends. Could someone shine some light on this discussion please? The more answers the better.

Solution
G
i think hes talking about steam os , is linux so is free, the pc no chance 200 just for the graphic card

AsgeirAsgaut

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

I didn't think it was possible, I need to show him this thread so he knows.

G

i think hes talking about steam os , is linux so is free, the pc no chance 200 just for the graphic card

Solution
G

once a guy told me you can change a playstations laser from a blue one to a red one to play copied games, i dont know how he knew what colour it was?

AsgeirAsgaut

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

I didn't mean to mark the thread as solved... Anyway, that's exactly what I was thinking. He did say something about Linux, what is that exactly? Does it allow you to have other programs away from gaming like word, chrome, power point, etc.?

G

linux is like open source , its everywhere even on your phone, it does have open office and millions of programs , but its not used for gaming alot, steam os will change that but will be alittle closed so maby not much programs

Icaraeus

Honorable
When Sony, or any manufacturer of a product, buys the parts they get a heavy discount for bulk buying and also because they're global. The PS4 has a unique hardware architecture which isn't initially releasing for consumer PCs until 2016 (which is where it is estimated performance will increase significantly). Additionally, a game developed for PS4 takes full advantage of the hardware. The PS4 has an octo-core CPU that turbos to close to 3Ghz. Games at the moment on PC only take advantage of 4 properly, whereas developers that code for PS4 can take advantage of the extra threads. The PS4's APU is a custom version of a $200 GPU and $150-200 CPU available at the moment, and it is able to properly take advantage of more than 2GB of VRAM, probably up to 5GB VRAM after they optimise the PS4's OS.

A PC that outperforms a PS4 that is fully taken advantage of costs significantly more than $400, but for the average PC game a $500-600 beats the PS4 generally because they don't put much optimization behind the PS4. There's no secret sauce for the PS4, first party devs just have the time to take advantage of what the PS4 has, just like the PS3.

Brian Parchman

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015

Thank you. It's so refreshing to read smart answers like this.
Using actual stats that show you know what you're talking about. I applaud you.

Now please, explain to them why Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will never come out with a single super console, and why that's a good thing... I just end up getting all shouty.

Icaraeus

Honorable
Sony did come out with a super console not very long ago when they released the PS3. The problem with it was that it had a very complex hardware architecture that took years to figure out, it released at $600 or AUD $1000 (anyone not many can afford), and Sony ended up losing billions of dollars.

Sony made a good decision making the PS4 a relatively low-power, low cost console as they are able to slowly build back up their funds and then maybe one day spend it on something truly innovative. History has shown that the cheapest product sells more than the more expensive one. This has been the case for every single console generation and will continue to be the case. Even if Sony did make the PS4 a high-powered console that sold for say, $200 more (aka. PS3), for one they would be nowhere near 18 million PS4's sold and the XBox One would be cruising with sales at $400 while the PS4 would be struggling at $600 unable to make a price drop due to the expensive hardware it might have had. Sony would have lost many more billions of dollars and it would have been obsolete by 2015/2016 anyway as PC's move forward with Nvidia Pascal, HBM memory, DDR4 etc. Yes, people are complaining that the PS4 isn't as strong as it might have been but it was one of the smartest choices Sony could have made. They might have alternatively made the PS4 $500 and be significantly faster than the XBox One, but again it would end up with not as many sales as what it has now. The XBox One despite being significantly weaker in that scenario would sell more units faster by simply dropping to $400 and leaving the PS4 at $500. Again, history has shown that people generally buy the cheaper product.

If you look at the comparisons you'll see that the PS4 is a very capable machine and its potential is being discovered through the games coming out both this year and next that look significantly better and run better than the games that came out 2013/2014. Even if you compare the PS4 with the Alienware machine that costs $500, you'll see that even in the games where the PS4's potential hasn't been reached the PS4 runs most games at a better quality.

Since it is impossible to compare the performance of first party PS4 games with PC, it is impossible to get a accurate idea of the PS4's power. Whatever it is, people should support whatever they choose and if somebody else prefers a PC over a PS4 then all the power to them. The PS4 was designed to compete with the XBox One, not a PC. People comparing their $2000 computers to a PS4 are idiots when one is clearly significantly more expensive than the other. If one compares a PC to a PS4 at the same price, the PS4 would beat out the PC any day.

G

pc gamers pay a premium to have hardware 5 years before console user get it is it worth it i think so, they barely hitting 1080p 60hz, we been playing 1440p 144hz since 2014 and will be 8k by the time new consoles come, yes we pay 4x more but for higher quality right now