[SOLVED] Is it possible to change CPU sockets?

mbayou75

Reputable
Jul 20, 2018
Hello,
In order to replace the processor of my HP Pavilion DV7-3200 with a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor with Radeon Vega 8, I need to change my old school AMD socket to a newer one. The socket I have is an (AMD) S1G3 and the socket that that APU needs is an (AMD) AM4.
I've read that AMD to AMD socket change is possible, but dunno if anybody did it in that computer.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello,
In order to replace the processor of my HP Pavilion DV7-3200 with a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor with Radeon Vega 8, I need to change my old school AMD socket to a newer one. The socket I have is an (AMD) S1G3 and the socket that that APU needs is an (AMD) AM4.
I've read that AMD to AMD socket change is possible, but dunno if anybody did it in that computer.
Thanks in advance.

No you can't.
It's far more than just the socket.

The entire motherboard would need to be changed. Along with the RAM.
And in a laptop, motherboards are not interchangeable across product lines.

You need a whole new laptop.
Feb 23, 2019
Again everything I can pull up about it says they are not compatible to change out. Pin count is different. Do some google searches and most your answers can be answered. Micro AMD and standard and boards can be had for a pretty fair price.

kanewolf

Titan
A socket change means a motherboard change. That is the only way. Because that 2200g needs different RAM, different power, different EVERYTHING. You don't change a socket, you change the motherboard. And in this case pretty much the whole PC.

Reactions: KeyMB

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
Thanks in advance.

No you can't.
It's far more than just the socket.

The entire motherboard would need to be changed. Along with the RAM.
And in a laptop, motherboards are not interchangeable across product lines.

You need a whole new laptop.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Disappointing, anyway lets change my question to: is there any S1G3 Socket CPU with integrated graphics?

Here is a list of CPU's for that socket:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket S1 _S1g3__K10.html

None have any integrated graphics.

Additionally, just because it may physically fit the socket, does not mean the motherboard and BIOS know what dto do with a different CPU.

You need a new laptop. Your current one is a decade or more old. Let it die a peaceful death.

Reactions: KeyMB

mbayou75

Reputable
Jul 20, 2018
You need a new laptop. Your current one is a decade or more old. Let it die a peaceful death.
Oh I'm not willing to give up that easily, the data on this PC is valuable to me, including programs.
Btw what about changing the Internal GPU, it's not soldered in but requires powerflow readjustments and a complete dismantle of the PC. Would it work?

USAFRet

Titan
Oh I won't give up that easily, the data on this PC is valuable to me, including programs.
Btw what about changing the Internal GPU, it's not soldered in but requires powerflow readjustments and a complete dismantle of the PC. Would it work?
The data on the drive has nothing to do with the CPU or GPU.
You should have a full regular backup of that anyway.

What special programs are on this that can't be reinstalled on something else?

As far as what you're referring to with the GPU...no idea.

What are you actually trying to do? Make it 'not slow'?

Feb 23, 2019
Oh I'm not willing to give up that easily, the data on this PC is valuable to me, including programs.

Again what we’re all saying is it’s not worth it, to me at least to be upgrading that particular laptop. Upgrading or building a new one doesn’t me you have to lose valuable stuff on the current one. Just back it all up and proceed. I just don’t think it’s worth the time or money to upgrade that laptop when for around the same money, you can build something that will handle about everything. Either way good luck in your endeavors

mbayou75

Reputable
Jul 20, 2018
The data on the drive has nothing to do with the CPU or GPU.
You should have a full regular backup of that anyway.

What special programs are on this that can't be reinstalled on something else?

What are you actually trying to do? Make it 'not slow'?
1/ Cannot do it.
2/ Because I lost cd's and dvd's to reinstall them.
3/ I did make it "Not slow", MSI Afterburner was the ****(Sorry about the profanity), but it wasn't enough. I'm going for a eGPU setup, only thing I can do.
There is a guy that made an exp gdc to work with his HP Pavilion DV7-3020, and it worked with the Expresscard cable setup.
I have the same PC series (both dv7-3000) and an Expresscard slot, a PSU of 400w + EXP GDC + GTX 970 should do the trick.

Again what we’re all saying is it’s not worth it, to me at least to be upgrading that particular laptop. Upgrading or building a new one doesn’t me you have to lose valuable stuff on the current one. Just back it all up and proceed. I just don’t think it’s worth the time or money to upgrade that laptop when for around the same money, you can build something that will handle about everything. Either way good luck in your endeavors
Thanks, I'm gonna need it.

Case closed. Period.

Last edited: