Question Is it possible to change the chassis of laptop?

Nov 19, 2019
I have an old laptop from lenevo. It has a second generation i7 processor and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM but because of SSD, it is still usable for web browsing and less resource intensive work. But it looks quite old and worn out and has also some issues with its screen hinges. I want to change its body to make it look new again. Is it even possible?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have an old laptop from lenevo. It has a second generation i7 processor and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM but because of SSD, it is still usable for web browsing and less resource intensive work. But it looks quite old and worn out and has also some issues with its screen hinges. I want to change its body to make it look new again. Is it even possible?

Technically yes. Advisable? That's entirely up to you & your abilities. Depending on where you live, you could look around and possibly find the same laptop for sale cheap and then swap parts from 1 to the other. This may prove to be almost as expensive as just buying yourself a better laptop though. Again, depending on where you live as parts may or may not be scarce.

Apart from the hinge, if the laptop itself was fine other than looking it's age, there are options like new outer skins/covers you could install, something from a site like here or here for instance.

Reactions: Jason H.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Possible - maybe. If you get a exactly same chassis or one that will fit exactly the same hardware. You could also get one 3d printed probably(which probably wont be cheap.)

This is concidering that none of the parts are somehow glued or soldered to the chassis, which would make it much harder to disassemble and assemble right.

Best bet would be to try to find the same laptop that is not working anymore for cheap and try to transfer the parts.

Other then that i dont think it would be worth the time or resources.

Technically you could take everything out of the chassis and have it connected like some weird frankenstein thing accross your bedroom floor lol.

But considering you probably dont want to do that, sure you could put it inside another laptop chassis, only issue is your hardware is specifically designed to fit inside your current chassis, so fitting it into another may need some "customization" and depending how good you are at doing that, would be your "bottleneck"