[SOLVED] Is it possible to change the user folder name without using registry editor?

Nov 15, 2020
When creating my windows user account, I signed in with my microsoft account, so my user folder uses a shortened version of my real name. I want to record content on my desktop, but do not want this to be shown for privacy reasons and therefore I want to change it to an alias. The only solutions I've seen appear to use registry editor to achieve this, however I know there are risks involved with this. Please let me know if there is a more safe way of doing this, or if registry editor is the only way, what precautionary steps should I take so if anything goes wrong, I can restore it to its previous state easily.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: There are risks with registry editing and so doing so is only done as a last resort and only after backing up everything including the registry.

I would not expect that registry edits on your computer would at all affect your Microsoft account configurations.

Microsoft allows some account changes but those changes are limited. And some changes may simply not be permitted at all.

= = = =

Normally you just right click the target folder and rename the folder. Does that work?

However, you must be logged in with the necessary admin or user accounts rights to do so.

Either the folder name will change or you will get some error code or pop-up window regarding the name change failure and why.

Nov 15, 2020
Yes: There are risks with registry editing and so doing so is only done as a last resort and only after backing up everything including the registry.

I would not expect that registry edits on your computer would at all affect your Microsoft account configurations.

Microsoft allows some account changes but those changes are limited. And some changes may simply not be permitted at all.

= = = =

Normally you just right click the target folder and rename the folder. Does that work?

However, you must be logged in with the necessary admin or user accounts rights to do so.

Either the folder name will change or you will get some error code or pop-up window regarding the name change failure and why.
yeah in this case right clicking on the folder, even as admin, does not permit renaming. From what I can tell, you can create a new temp admin account, then rename your main account's user folder. But it still only works when paired with a registry edit. e.g.
View: https://youtu.be/XASJTN8Sr1I

Nov 15, 2020
Why not just create another Standard User?
Call it what you wish. Use that for your recording, and everyday use.
eh I guess I can do this, just seems a bit strange that this is not possible by a more straightforward means. My account is not new, so I have a lot of setup on my main account that will be annoying to replicate. I managed to change my account name to my alias, by switching to use a local account, however my username update was not reflected in the users folder.

USAFRet

Titan
eh I guess I can do this, just seems a bit strange that this is not possible by a more straightforward means. My account is not new, so I have a lot of setup on my main account that will be annoying to replicate. I managed to change my account name to my alias, by switching to use a local account, however my username update was not reflected in the users folder.
Accounts and permissions are much more than just the visible name. NTFS keeps track of a LOT of stuff behind the scenes related to the user accounts, and more than just the 'name'.

"annoying to replicate"
Not as annoying as borking up the whole install.

Easy and guaranteed to work.
or
Complex and failprone.

I know which way I'd go.

Nov 15, 2020
Accounts and permissions are much more than just the visible name. NTFS keeps track of a LOT of stuff behind the scenes related to the user accounts, and more than just the 'name'.

"annoying to replicate"
Not as annoying as borking up the whole install.

Easy and guaranteed to work.
or
Complex and failprone.

I know which way I'd go.
yeah I take your point. And wasn't a reflection on your answer. I'm just disappointed there isn't a way of doing it without that duplication. I had no plans to go with the regedit method (unless someone provided guidance on how to do so safely)

Last edited: