[SOLVED] Is it possible to combine DDR3 and DDR3L memory?

May 17, 2022
Hello, I'm planning to install ddr3 memory to my computer, but I'm worried it could destroy it, so I'm posting this topic before I make a foolish mistake. The motherboard currently has dd3l in the slot, but I want to add a ddr3. I dug up some information about my motherboard specs and found this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04293944

It says it supports ddr3 dimms in the Memory Upgrade Information, but the problem is that if I mix ddr3 with a ddr3l that is already in the slot, it might damage both of my ram or, in the worst scenario, my motherboard. Please help.

Sorry for my bad english.

Solution
I'm planning to install ddr3 memory to my computer, but I'm worried it could destroy it, so I'm posting this topic before I make a foolish mistake
Safest choice is getting a dual channel ram kit - replacing existing ram with a pair of modules from kit.
Mixing different ram modules (bought separately) is often a game of chance.
It might work fine,
may require manual tuning of ram parameters in BIOS (btw - not all motherboards support this),
or it may refuse to work together at all.

So - get a kit instead.

DDR3L (1.35V) can work at DDR3 voltages (1.5V) just fine. It won't suddenly burst into flames. Just don't overclock it past 1.65V.
I'm planning to install ddr3 memory to my computer, but I'm worried it could destroy it, so I'm posting this topic before I make a foolish mistake
Safest choice is getting a dual channel ram kit - replacing existing ram with a pair of modules from kit.
Mixing different ram modules (bought separately) is often a game of chance.
It might work fine,
may require manual tuning of ram parameters in BIOS (btw - not all motherboards support this),
or it may refuse to work together at all.

So - get a kit instead.

DDR3L (1.35V) can work at DDR3 voltages (1.5V) just fine. It won't suddenly burst into flames. Just don't overclock it past 1.65V.

Solution
"DIMM" is a reference to the form factor of the RAM. The size, shape, pins, etc. Not necessarily to the actual chips used.

DDR3 and DDR3L are both available in the "DIMM" form factor.

I think all that means in your case is that BOTH of them would fit into the slots on your motherboard.

BUT, that doesn't mean both would work or that both are compatible or that they can be mixed.

I doubt mixing would damage anything. It just would not work properly.

If it came with DDR3L, I'd continue to use DDR3L only. I think the difference is that DDR3L is lower voltage.

You can try to mix them if you don't mind losing the money or returning if it doesn't work. I personally would not.