Is it possible to combine two laptop LCD's into one large monitor?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I want to make an ultra thin near fan-less all-in-one "Gaming" PC. The specs will be an i3 4130, GT 1030, and 8gb of ram with an M.2 SSD for storage. For the display I will use at least one 15'' laptop LCD screen and I'll use one of those audio video controller boards to hook up the display to the graphics card. The PC will run off a 150 watt Pico power supply and since the GT 1030 uses only 30 watts that should be more than enough for the PC. The PC will be laid out flat using a riser cable for the graphics card housed in a custom acrylic case made by me. However I was wondering about how to make the display bigger since there are no 24 inch LCD screens. I was thinking of putting two screens next to each other and then daisy chaining the connections to the GPU. But would that draw too much power? In order to protect the screen while on the go I will make a lid with a small border around the edges to raise it above the screen. This will be fastened onto PC with screws or latches somehow. Any thoughts on this build?

Solution
You will be out of the manufacturer's recommended specifications using a 250watt PSU with a 1050ti. I am not saying that it wont work, but I cant confirm that it will work either. Considering you are going to power the screen off of the PSU as well creates more strain on the pico. What is the power draw of the panel? 250 watt would be my personal bare minimum for an i3, 1050ti, SSD, and 8gb of RAM. So when you also have to power a 720p panel, the watts probably get too high.
Sounds like a cool project. I built a PC with a pico PSU, but I used integrated graphics and did not use integrated displays. You may be asking a little too much out of the pico PSU.

Additionally, I don't think that the 1030 will be able to handle the additional pixels from the 2 panels. So the gaming performance would be pretty poor in my opinion and may not be viable.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think there are a few assumptions in there about how LCD panels work.

Laptop LCDs usually only have a single input. I doubt you could daisy chain them. You would need to provide power on all the appropriate pins and have the signal wires go to a separate port on the GPU.

24" LCDs certainly do exist, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy one. Even a common size. Once the chassis and power supply are removed, they would be a similar size to any laptop model and be easier to hook up to a desktop class computer. Many models are powered by an external brick, which might be preferable for your purposes.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
The 24'' LCD screens that I have found are too expensive though I may just try it with only one screen. A GT 1030 should be enough to power just one no? Cause I will only be gaming at 720p with this machine.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I was thinking of using a GTX 1050Ti since I already have that card but I was unsure if the pico psu could handle that. I was gonna get an i3 and I already have 8gb of ram and an SSD. I was going to use a 330 watt laptop charger from Dell with a 250 watt pico psu. Would that be a better fit with just one screen?

You will be out of the manufacturer's recommended specifications using a 250watt PSU with a 1050ti. I am not saying that it wont work, but I cant confirm that it will work either. Considering you are going to power the screen off of the PSU as well creates more strain on the pico. What is the power draw of the panel? 250 watt would be my personal bare minimum for an i3, 1050ti, SSD, and 8gb of RAM. So when you also have to power a 720p panel, the watts probably get too high.

Solution