Is it possible to configure a proxy server to send ACK packets?

Aethrun

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I have a local machine with a TCP connection that goes through a proxy server to a web server. Is there a way to configure the proxy so that it sends ACK packets to the web server to acknowledge the packets the server sends, rather than my local machine sending the ACKs?

Solution
Some proxy will do that depending how the are caching things. This is actually a function that a wan accelerator does rather than a proxy. The risk you run is that the proxy told the server you got the packet but for some reason proxy can't successfully deliver the packet to your machine. This causes a massive issue in the communication stream. In most cases the session will be reset to resolve it and your machine will have to open a new one. I would go read about this concept on the sites that discuss wan accelerator design....most time you want wan accelerators software/hardware on both ends to really ensure things work well.
Some proxy will do that depending how the are caching things. This is actually a function that a wan accelerator does rather than a proxy. The risk you run is that the proxy told the server you got the packet but for some reason proxy can't successfully deliver the packet to your machine. This causes a massive issue in the communication stream. In most cases the session will be reset to resolve it and your machine will have to open a new one. I would go read about this concept on the sites that discuss wan accelerator design....most time you want wan accelerators software/hardware on both ends to really ensure things work well.

Solution

Aethrun

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks for your answer. It's very informative. I did some reading today on web accelerators and found a couple of Linux software accelerators that I'm going to try. To my amazement, I even found a hardware accelerator on Ebay for less than $10 (CacheFlow CF110 Series 100 Web Accelerator).