Question Is it possible to connect two computers to one keyboard and type simultaneously on both?

Oct 16, 2021
I want to type on my laptop and the same content to be displayed on my PC. I want to have a keyboard that has two USB outputs that allow me to type on both computers at once.

I am unable to find a solution to THIS problem. I understand there are KVM switches, RDP, USB Switch Cables with FTP etc. but I am unable to find a keyboard with 2 USB outputs.

I do not mind DIY'ing my own keyboard to have multiple outputs on USB or PS/2, not sure if it is possible though?

Other solutions are welcome, I want it to be a hardware solution that does not use the network (network solutions always grind my gears).

Hope you can help!

Oct 16, 2021
I want to type on my laptop and the same content to be displayed on my PC. I want to have a keyboard that has two USB outputs that allow me to type on both computers at once.

I am unable to find a solution to THIS problem. I understand there are KVM switches, RDP, USB Switch Cables with FTP etc. but I am unable to find a keyboard with 2 USB outputs.

I do not mind DIY'ing my own keyboard to have multiple outputs on USB or PS/2, not sure if it is possible though?

Other solutions are welcome, I want it to be a hardware solution that does not use the network (network solutions always grind my gears).

Hope you can help!
Check this out, the software isn't free ($30 for a license covering 3 computers) but it works great. I think it might do what you're looking for.
https://symless.com/synergy

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do not attempt to simply solder wires together and make connections to two computers from one keyboard. I am sure the two computers would become very "confused" with competing signals, and it is POSSIBLE under some circumstances to create electrical conditions that would permanently damage your computers!

To do exactly as you want, what would be required is a custom dedicated software and hardware system. You'd need a device capable of connecting via one USB port to your keyboard to power it and deal with its inputs and outputs. Then some "smarts" (a microprocessor, a bit or RAM, and software in an EEPROM?) plus a power supply to move signals from the keyboard to TWO independent other USB ports, each of which can deal with ONE computer. The "smarts" could manage communication between the keyboard ports and the two computer ports. I think the two computer ports would need to be isolated electrically to avoid possible dangerous (to the electronics) current flows in certain unusual connection systems. Clearly, such a system needs careful design. SOME of this might be done using an arduino hardware device system as suggested above.

MAYBE this all could be done by software running on both computers, but I've never seen such software promoted. The Logitec Flow features noted above, as stated, are really a software KVM system that will NOT send keyboard signals to TWO computers at the same time., and it may not address the possible need for electrical isolation of USB ports between two computers.

But would the keyboard modification work?

I just want to type and both my laptop and computer will display the content at the same time.
Get a keyboard-mouse switch, either a hardware one or a software one like Synergy.

The only way to do this without a switch is for the device to be physically to have two USB controllers on its end to act as two different keyboards, that relays whatever input you have over both. And nobody makes this so you'll have to roll out your own.