Question Is it possible to create this configuration?

chaotic_cannon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hi,
Currently I have been running this configuration for a few years:
  • i5 6600k on a Gigabyte Ultra Durable Mobo
  • 2 x Samsung 950 EVO M.2 2280 512GB in RAID 0 config for OS drive,
  • with a mix of other SSD and HDD on the Sata ports for extra storage.

I want to upgrade to new CPU and Mobo but want to know if this is possible on the new board:

• New Mobo (considering Gigabyte Z390 GAMING SLI LGA 1151 (300 Series) with compatible CPU
  • 2 x new Samsung 970 Evo M2 drives in Raid 0
  • BUT salvage the current 2 x Samsung 950 Evo M2 drives but install each in a M.2 NVMe SSD NGFF TO PCI-E Adapter

Is it possible to RAID 0 the 970 Evos for the OS drive and also RAID 0 the 950 Evo's while they are in NVMe SSD NGFF TO PCI-E Adapters and perhaps have another separate SSD on the SATA for more storage?

Thanks

Based on benchmarks I've seen, running NVME SSDs in RAID 0 tends to be pretty pointless, unless perhaps you have some specific niche task that involves performing lots of sequential reads and writes all day. For the vast majority of usage scenarios, it will make next to no positive performance impact.

If you're using 512 GB drives to make your RAID 0, just buying a single 1 TB drive will give you most of the gains with none of the headaches. NVMe RAID has very bad scaling, only gaining up to 50% in throughput scenarios unless you really hammer on them with your workload. The 1 TB drive has twice as many flash lanes to work with and twice the buffer size.

If the load can be distributed, another good alternative is to use the drives separately. Much better scaling and you don't take a hit on random IO performance.

You don't really need to upgrade that setup, your CPU should be able to run any new games and the SSD speeds you have won't get much faster. Certainly not fast enough to spend money and time changing them. If you are bored and just want to change something, learn to play the guitar or something instead.

DSzymborski

Titan
There's very rarely a practical reason to ever use RAID0 with SSDs. It's a setup to spike pretty benchmark numbers, nothing more.

Really, anything RAID is mostly pointless for home users; anyone who needs RAID on their home desktop has a very specific use case (and would be aware of this fact).