Question Is it possible to do an upgrade from win7 trough usb or cd of win10 and still keep the files that you had on win7?

Nov 21, 2022
I don't know much about this,i know how to do the basic formating,clean installation of an OS and such.Since the media toolkit from microsoft doesn't work anymore for win7 i want to install a win10 OS that i have on a usb stick.Since i have a lot of stuff on my current OS,a lot of games too i really would not like to loose them but i need to upgrade to win10 cuz of the newer games not supporting win7.

I remember in the older OS's you could do something like this,for example if you upgraded from an xp OS to win7 at that time you could choose to not loose the files and you would find them in a folder on your hard disk called winxp x86 or x32 or something like that(i might be wrong on the name though,this was a long time ago)but i know that i did this few times with computers that were running an xp OS when i upgraded them to win7

Is something like this possible from win7 to win 10?

The reason im still running a win7 OS is,last time i had to unexpectedly format my pc and didn't had a win10 to install so i went with the win7 that i had on cd.if this can be done,any advice or tips would be much appreciated

Colif

Win 11 Master
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
when its made, put it in the PC that you want to upgrade, with windows 7 running
open explorer
navigate to USB drive
run setup and PC should offer to upgrade you to win 10
you should be able to run the installer from in explorer in windows 7and upgrade using it and keep all files

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022
download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

you should be able to run the installer from in explorer and upgrade using a win 7 licence and keep all files

As i said already, that tool doesn't work anymore on win 7,you can't even open it anymore.Let's say i already have a win 10 downloaded. can i use a third party program(rufus) to make a win 10 installation?And would i be able then just to choose "upgrade" later in the installation and keep my current win7 files?

Nov 21, 2022
What error do you get, when running windows update assistant?
Can you show a screenshot?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Well,last time i tried to use the microsoft media creation toolkit i just could not open the file,not supported on win7 anymore or something,can't quite remember exactly but i will give it another try,but that program is basically like any other third party program that let's you make a portable usb os or iso file of a os,right?

SS of error : https://prnt.sc/vMsmTea2LwaV

USAFRet

Titan
Well,last time i tried to use the microsoft media creation toolkit i just could not open the file,not supported on win7 anymore or something,can't quite remember exactly but i will give it another try,but that program is basically like any other third party program that let's you make a portable usb os or iso file of a os,right?

SS of error : https://prnt.sc/vMsmTea2LwaV
Did you run it As Administrator?

Nov 21, 2022
Nov 21, 2022
To cut this chase and to not let this thread go wild,let me try to understand this.

Since i can't open the microsoft media toolkit to make a portable os or iso file of win10,i can use Rufus.

I already have a win10 on the usb,just the files,would be pointless to download it from microsoft even if the media toolkit worked for me.
All i need to do now is to transfer it to my pc and then back to the usb trough Rufus making a portable os,i understand all that but my questions is still the same as my first post,will i have the option "upgrade" and will i be able to keep my files if i go "upgrade" later in the installation even if im not using the official microsoft creation toolkit ?That's basically the only thing im interested in and that im not sure about

Nov 21, 2022

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can run the set-up.exe straight from windows explorer is you already have the iso downloaded. extract the iso files to a folder or mount it with your fav software.

it'll run from windows and allow you to select "keep my files and settings".

as noted above though, back-up important stuff cause it is not foolproof process. you can lose data in any update scenario.

once it is updated windows update will do it's thing and get you to the newest version.

All i need to do now is to transfer it to my pc and then back to the usb trough Rufus making a portable os,i understand all that
No.
If you have windows installation media on USB already, then just run setup.exe from USB flash drive.
but my questions is still the same as my first post,will i have the option "upgrade" and will i be able to keep my files if i go "upgrade" later in the installation even if im not using the official microsoft creation toolkit ?
If your windows install is for same language/locale as your windows 7, then you'll have option to upgrade with keep files.
If your windows 7 language is hungarian (for example) and windows install US-english, then you will not have an option to keep files.

Nov 21, 2022
Doesn't imply that i would keep my files when you go to "Upgrade" in the description
No.
If you have windows installation media on USB already, then just run setup.exe from USB flash drive.

If your windows install is for same language/locale as your windows 7, then you'll have option to upgrade with keep files.
If your windows 7 language is hungarian (for example) and windows install US-english, then you will not have an option to keep files.

It's an Iso file though,I downloaded it like that so i can later put in on a cd or now on a usb to have a portable usb os

So,all i need to watch out for is to pick the same region,language and stuff to make it same as my current win7 os version,got it

TRENDING THREADS