Question Is it possible to extend the PSU Cables?

Mar 6, 2023
Hello, I know it sounds weird, I need to learn this because I'm going to set up a custom system. Is it harmful to extend the cables that need to be connected from the power supply to the motherboard by 2 meters as in the image? Will it cause problems and is there a way to achieve this? Thanks in advance.
The products in the image are representative.

2 meters is quite a long distance, any particular reason why?
At that length, you would have to make them yourself, and you would likely want thicker gauge wire than normally used. At that point though, the connections themselves may be a limiting factor as well as the resistance increases over distance.

Reactions: Saltukhan
Mar 6, 2023
2 meters is quite a long distance, any particular reason why?
At that length, you would have to make them yourself, and you would likely want thicker gauge wire than normally used. At that point though, the connections themselves may be a limiting factor as well as the resistance increases over distance.
Thank you for your answer. Due to the volume of the PSU, i will need to place it away from the motherboard, GPU and other components. I do not want it in the system where i will only install the PSU as an image. That's why i want it to be far away. I can make the cables myself, i have the necessary competence but i wonder if this process will harm the system. You mentioned that the resistance will increase, is this a momentary or long-term hurdle? Is there any way i can do this without any issues?

Increased resistance is going to be a constant issue with longer cables of that length.
You could see voltage drops for sensitive components, resulting in system instability, overheating PSU, melting connectors, reduced component life, etc.
A high quality PSU would mitigate these issues a bit, but I do think 2 meters is pushing it depending on power consumption.

Reactions: Saltukhan
Due to the volume of the PSU, i will need to place it away from the motherboard, GPU and other components.
Why exactly? How is volume of PSU impacting anything?
Does your pc case have not enough space for your selected PSU model?
Can't you get a different PSU model or different pc case model, so they would be compatible?
I do not want it in the system where i will only install the PSU as an image. That's why i want it to be far away.
What does that mean? "install the PSU as an image"
Are you going to print image of PSU on a paper and place this image, where PSU should be installed?
This sounds really, REALLY weird.