[SOLVED] Is it possible to fix a GPU?

Aug 31, 2019
Hi all, my first ever post.

Can one fix a GPU?

It happening to me last night, THE DREADED GPU causing your PSU to trip. Just like that, my PC went dead, worst of all it was during a heated Battlefield V multiplayer shootout, I was just calling out hacker for cheating...TRIP goes my PC?
"I thought I was remotely hacked by some evil 17 year old genius hacker, who does not like to be called a hacker?" :)

But eventually, after a bit of YouTube inspired process of elimination, each time I plugged my MSI GEFORCE GTX 1080 GPU power cables into it [specifically the 6 pin connector], my power supply would trip. Swapped it out with my old GTX960 and it worked perfectly.

I opened the 1080 looked for any anomalies [to much dust? melted circuits? smells?] nothing...

This must surely be a catastrophic part failure to trip my 700watt power supply?

Pull the MAINS power cable out, wait for two minutes, switch back on and it trips again.
Remove the 6 pin power cable out of the GPU [leave 8 pin connected]. Re-start system, GPU lights come on, fans run for about 40 seconds, they switch off and the GPU seems to idle. The moment I put the second half of the GPU cables in [6 xpin] the PSU trips?

Last edited:
Solution
General PSU recommendations:

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ Amazon)

EVGA has some good Gold rated PSUs, but they are overpriced at the moment. The G2 and G3 series. Other than that I recommend the units above, the CX series if you dont' want to spend that much and the other ones if you want higher quality...
It's not your 1080, it's your power supply. Get a better power supply. Not higher wattage, just better quality.

Power supplies go bad especially when they are lower quality.

Let us help you pick a power supply. For instance, a high-quality 550W is much better than a low-quality 700W.

Reactions: DMAN999
Thanks for the advice mate. How did you come to this conclusion?
That's the typical scenario of a bad PSU. Bad PSUs will work with light loads (eg. GTX 960) but will short out with higher loads (eg. GTX 1080). I've seen it dozens of time on here. And you say 700W PSU which means it's either old and/or of a lower quality design. PSUs makers started making 550, 650, 750W designs in recent years that are much better than the older 500, 600, 700W designs.

Reactions: DMAN999
General PSU recommendations:

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ Amazon)

EVGA has some good Gold rated PSUs, but they are overpriced at the moment. The G2 and G3 series. Other than that I recommend the units above, the CX series if you dont' want to spend that much and the other ones if you want higher quality.

With a GTX 1080 I'd recommend 650W if you go medium-quality Bronze rated, or 550W and up if you go high-quality Gold rated. You could get away with a medium-quality 550W Bronze if you had to, even a 450W if you really really had to (on certain systems.)

Solution
Thanks MrNice. Yup changed it out with a Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply and it sent it straight into trip mode.

Query, is it possible to have a MSI GEFORCE GTX1080 graphics card repaired?
I'm sorry to hear that.

The best place to send a GPU with issues is back to the manufacturer via RMA process. If it's not under warranty then you might be better off selling it as "broken/for parts" on eBay and just buying a different GPU.